GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got this kit for my bitrhday back in March...

StartingLine by DeVilbiss
StartingLine Topcoat, Prime & Touch-Up System
Includes 1 Full Size & 1 Mini HVLP Spray Gun

••1 - Basecoat, Clearcoat and Topcoat Spray Gun
••1 - Detail & Touch-Up Spray Gun

This 2 Gun System is perfect for the Handyman, Craftsman, Hobbyist and the Do-It-Yourselfer!

It allows you to Spray the Full Spectrum of Coatings
for any size Project Large or Small.
Kit Contains:

••1 Full Size STARTINGLINE HVLP Gravity Feed Paint Spray Gun with a 1.3mm (Finish Coat) Fluid Tip and a 600cc (20 oz.) Metal Cup. This 1.3mm set-up is ideal for the Atomization of Basecoats, Clear Coats, and other Light Viscosity Coatings. Spray Gun Specifications: 30 PSI inlet pressure delivers 10 PSI air cap pressure at 13 CFM air volume.
••1.8mm (Priming) Fluid Tip and Needle. Use this 1.8mm set-up for Primers, Sealers, Thinned Latex/Oil Base, and other Medium to Heavy Viscosity Coatings.

••1 Mini-Size Touch-Up STARTINGLINE HVLP Gravity Feed Paint Spray Gun with a 1.0mm Fluid Tip and a 250cc (8.5 oz.) Metal Cup. This 1.0mm set-up is suitable for Spot Repairs using a variety of Coatings. Touch-Up Spray Gun Specifications: 30 PSI inlet pressure delivers 10 PSI air cap pressure at 8 CFM air volume

Also Includes: Air Regulator with Gauge, Gun Cleaning Brush Set, Gun Maintenance Wrench, Blow-Molded Storage and Carrying Case.

••Spray Gun Rebuild Kits are available ••Includes 1 Year Limited Warranty
...and I would rather spend the money it would cost to have my parts painted on a compressor and materials to do it myself.

I currently have a 2ga. compressor, but doubt thats enough.

ill only be painting parts like bumper caps, dashes, etc. biggest thing I might paint would be a hood if I feel comfortable when the times comes. I would also like to tint taillights.

I have a paint store local to me that I can got to for materials,(http://stores.sanleandrocolor.com/StoreFront.bok)

I need help on gun setup, choosing materials, and spraying techniques.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!:shake:

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
iirc its GM 805K dark spiral gray.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
San Leandro color is the place to go from what I hear.... I'll be heading there whenever I decide to fix the side of my honda where I smashed it in.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I have a 33 gallon craftsman single stage compressor I used to paint my bike fairings and it worked perfect. Running about 30 psi regulated let me paint everything (sealer, base and clear) in two tank fulls of air. I run a water trap at the compressor and at the gun and never have problems with water contamination.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a 33 gallon craftsman single stage compressor I used to paint my bike fairings and it worked perfect. Running about 30 psi regulated let me paint everything (sealer, base and clear) in two tank fulls of air. I run a water trap at the compressor and at the gun and never have problems with water contamination.
Just like he said. I have the same size. Make sure you get one with a high CFM, and a water trap is a must. I painted both of my bikes with no problem. Check out my photo album.

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
San Leandro color is the place to go from what I hear.... I'll be heading there whenever I decide to fix the side of my honda where I smashed it in.
how the fuck do you smash a little ass honda?:rofljest:
the smell in the store is insane!:insane:
Just like he said. I have the same size. Make sure you get one with a high CFM, and a water trap is a must. I painted both of my bikes with no problem. Check out my photo album.
how is this compressor?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...Air+Compressors+&+Inflators#descriptionAnchor

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Flyin V Customs
1,781 Posts
that color has a lot of metallic. it may be tricky for a beginner. just make sure your spraying technique is constant.

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
how the fuck do you smash a little ass honda?:rofljest:
I made a turn like I was in the truck at 4am tired as fuck...turns out the little fucker turns pretty sharp compared to the truck and nailed a pole

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
you'll probably have to specify what clear and base you are using so they can tell you how much and which reducers, activators, hardeners, etc you will need

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
all the mixing ratios should be on the stuff that you buy. go to the paint store and pick up a couple mixing cups that have the mix ratio's already printed on them

·
Officially Tucking Tire
8,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you'll probably have to specify what clear and base you are using so they can tell you how much and which reducers, activators, hardeners, etc you will need
i was thinking ppg, but still have no idea what to use.
get you some scrap sheet metal and practice technique before painting something you care about.
:hmm:ill have to see what i have.
all the mixing ratios should be on the stuff that you buy. go to the paint store and pick up a couple mixing cups that have the mix ratio's already printed on them
ill be sure to pic some up...

what are some good brands to go with?
will i have to buy reducers, activators, hardeners, etc seperately?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts