GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great day...went to Sears to get (2) 1/2" drive ratchets and (2) 3/8" ratchets repaired due to slippage under torque. The counter person said " I can only rebuild one of these, the others are too old....just go back and get three brand new ones"...man I about shit, walked out of there with $80 in new ratchets for free :wave:

·
Diego Mafia
2,625 Posts
nice i have that same one.

·
Masshole
5,276 Posts
takes 2 seconds to take them apart. I work in the automotive dept but the tool associates are down in this room thats in our warehouse when someone comes in. most of the older guys like them rebuilt because its usually an easy fix and they like the old quality vs the new. literally takes them under 5min to rebuild one

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
My uncle works for the place that makes craftsman tools, i got my 240 piece mechanics set for $45 bucks. The only thing wrong with the set is the plastic case got a little screwed up in the mold, and the tabs that hold the ratchets in place don't actually hold them,

and its good to know ILL NEVER have to buy any one of those 240 tools again

·
nytahoeon23's
1,147 Posts
damm i go and they want to give me a refeb that they had in a draw. i have to bug out and say i make my living with my tools. mine looks brand new next to that one. so they are like ok well if u want to wait i can rebuild yours. so took like 2 mins but still they used to never give a prob.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
i broke 2 1/2 in ratchets and they replaced them with new ones no questions asked. they didn't even check if mine was broken. was in and out in under 3 minutes both times.

·
is Bi-Winning and a
8,241 Posts
My craftsman tools are only 3 years old so I dont have to worry about old quality vs new...I mean all i have to do is take the broken one back and they give me a brand new one off the shelf no questions asked.

·
Registered
480 Posts
i work for sears, we do rebuild but sometimes if the ratchet is 10 years or older we can give new ratchets. its funny because even if you found them or someone gave them to you and you bring them in, you can get rebuilt or replaced with no receipt or anything. i hate rebuilding them because they are a pain. so most of the time i just give new sets..

·
Registered
480 Posts
the bearing always seems to fly out when you try to rebuild them.......

·
CHIMICHANGA
3,275 Posts
I used to work at the tool counter at Sears. Fun times for sure..I always liked rebuilding the ratchets when it was slow..

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya the person said they were too old to rebuild except one that had a c-clip type fastner. I was really surprised I got new tools with no hassle at all. Everyone was real nice about it and the only one they could rebuild was done quickly...Im very happy.

·
Low Life ↓
4,485 Posts
hell yea i love sears we've broke soo many...sometimes my dad goes out to flea markets and buys fucked up small hand tools and just takes em back to sears and gets new shit...

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hell yea i love sears we've broke soo many...sometimes my dad goes out to flea markets and buys fucked up small hand tools and just takes em back to sears and gets new shit...
I knew a guy that used to do that, he would hit garage sales, pawn shops etc and buy them for like $1 and trade them in for new.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Well fuck! I forgot about this warranty. I have a couple 1/2" drives i busted trying to remove the rusted bolts holding the mounting brackets to the axle flange. :hmm:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts