GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if this is a dumb idea or not. I want to section my tranny cross member but I don't have enough plate to add to the bottom and I don't have a way to get more cause the bed is off my truck right now. Would be a good idea to section off the part I want and weld in some 1x1 1/8 wall tube across the width of the cross member in 5 or 6 or more places to strengthen it up? Thanks for any help. I would post pictures but this is all in my head right now.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
if you mean weld them transverse (ie front to rear) i would do it in as many places as possible. just do it until you can get your hands on some plate, i'd say 3/16 or 1/4

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I would be welding them front to back on the bottom side. Now just asking a question, but how would a piece of plate be stronger than a piece of 1x1 welded every 1.5 to 2"? again not second guessing you just wondering.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
the metal they use to make the tranny crossmember is pretty thin. its just strong cus its all boxed in. i dont think you would even have to do it every 2-3 inches. just put the plate that you have in the middle and then put one or two on each side till you get more. or cut it in half put one on each side undre the bolts then put front to back stock in the middle.
i used a peice of 1/2 plate and welded it to the top of the kp member then drilled a new tranny mount hole in it and drove off. cus ididnt know it was only for auto and they didnt know either.

·
Registered
49 Posts
KP components makes a new tranny xmember. Bolts in, and you cut the bottom off the mounts on the frame, and weld in the provided plates. I paid like 125 for mine a while back.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Cut the bottom cap welds off, cut the height out of the sides of the crossmember then weld in the bottom cap again. Cake.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts