GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly does that security light mean? I was driving today and the orange security light came on. After parking at home and then trying to start it later, my truck wouldn't start. It would run briefly then die as if the computer was killing the engine or something.

It's really getting kind of old. It's happened to me a few other times like after pumping gas my truck won't start because the security light is on. Usually after about a 15 minute wait it'll fire up.

How does it work and is there a way to disable this crap?

·
Registered
807 Posts
what year? guessing 99&up. also are you usisng a spare key? anyways its your security system to do a reset you need to...
(all these steps need to be done WITHOUT opening the door, so close door with window open)
1.turn key and attempt to start, and leave key in the on position after it starts and dies.
2.if you look at your message center it should be rotating 7 seconds battery light, 7 seconds security light, etc. wait till the security light is left out of the cycle and its just the battery light(this should take 10-12 mins).
3. turn key off for 20 seconds.
**repeat all the steps 3 times and on the 4th attempt to start it should fire right up. if not try the whole relearn all over.**

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's a 2000 and I'm using a spare key(only one I have). Thanks for the steps on how to reset. What triggers it go into security mode? Is there a way to disable it? I appreciate the help.:boobs:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts