GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im freakin' upset!! There's something seriously wrong with my paint. About 4 years ago, my dad jack-knifed the trailer into the side of my truck...body shop fixed it...no big deal. Today when I was taking the molding off of my truck, I discovered that the painter had taped off and painted over the molding, and now there is a major big visible spot where the molding was...its like 2 completely different shades of pewter. I dont have a DigiCam, so no pictures to post...but Im wondering what's the best way to address this. The bed has several small scratches in it already, so my question is should I try to have the body shop try to fix it without painting it, get just the one spot painted, or just splurge and get the whole thing done...Also, what are some estimates of how much it will cost to get the thing painted.
Thanks in advance

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Cheapest option, put the moulding back on .... you should always know the history of your vehicle before you start pulling off moudlings.

·
GMFS founding member
4,009 Posts
shinysilverado said:
The bed has several small scratches in it already, so my question is should I try to have the body shop try to fix it without painting it, get just the one spot painted, or just splurge and get the whole thing done...Also, what are some estimates of how much it will cost to get the thing painted.
it's your call. i would not repaint the entire bed over some small scratches, usually things like this can be blended. of course as bcubed said you could always put the molding back on. if i were in this situation, i would keep the molding off, especially if i had a silverado, and have the area blended and the bed recleared. shouldn't cost more than $400... but did you pay for the original work out of pocket, or did insurance cover it? either way i would go back to the shop. you should never mask off moldings.

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Damn...I hate body shops that do that kind of shit...there have so many horror stories on this forum alone about finding surprises underneath their moldings....bastards...

Haha...don't mean to vent. If you really hate having molding, do what the other guys said...get an estimate of how much it would cost just to fix that spot. Cheap way out: put the moldings back on like bcubed said.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
yea... thats what happened to my truck... i took em off and look what happened :crazy: :crazy:

but on a serious note, it'll prbly cost you like 300 bucks, if ur painter is good. Thats how much i was quoted for mine... i just went ahead and did some other work...

·
Plead The First
2,593 Posts
Shit, to repaint the passenger side of my bed they quoted me $400. I think I'm gonna go somewhere else and get another quote.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked to my paint guy and he said we could probably just blend it in to match. I wish I had one of those Porter Cable hand polisher things so I could do it myself...but I dont mind paying as long as it looks good :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts