GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was talking to a buddy of mine tonight about really getting some horses out of my 95' TBI 350. He suggested getting a edelbrock 4 barrel carburetor with a open air cleaner. Then he said to get long tube headers, bigger cam and distributor, and finally a MSD ignition. What are yall's opinions on these mods?

I asked about switching to carburetor on another website, and someone said this will not work w/ my current engine. I can't remember the exact reason, but 2 of my buddies said it will. Also, carburetors are so much easier to work on. I also would like to get some pro's and con's of this switch. What do yall think? This truck is my daily driver, so keep that in mind. :D

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Mmm...carb...new intake manifold...lesser mpg...

open air cleaner...more air flow, more engine heat...I have a K&N and a tube and it seems to get plenty.

cam would help, distributor/ignition won't make a power difference.

My plans are different heads, cam, intake manifold, 454 tbi and headers. probably all the power i'd want.

the heads on these things suck, so keep that in mind....

yeeahh...

Search it, theres alot of TBI power posts floating around, seems to be a popular question :think: :bawl: :D

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mmm... I doubt I would pass emissions with this carb setup also. What other options are there for new heads for this engine? How much would that run me $$?

thanks for the post

·
HAPPY NEW YEAR
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whifflebat said:
L98 iron heads come to mind, but I'm too tired to remember much more. Should come up in a search though.
Appreciate your help. About how much HP would I expect to gain off the L98 iron heads?

:bowtie:

·
Registered
146 Posts
no offense to anyone else especially whiffle bat but heres a knock out plan to me. see my dad has a 88 350 tbi and heres our bench racing plan. what you do is go to jegs.com or look through a catalog if you have it and find the iron vortec heads or the aluminum ones if you got the cash. they only are worth like 40 horse and flow like a mofo. then edelbrock makes the intake you need to adept the tbi to the vortec heads. next maybe like a 6000 rpm cam longtubes and some tranny work. just my .02 cents to me i think thats a knock plan and it will still look stock and if you need work get a blower!
tell me what you think.
later

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
diablojester said:
tell me what you think.

Here's what I KNOW...
You just spent $1000, and you only gained 30hp. The vortec head swap is not a good idea, if you intend to keep the TBI. For half the cost of the vortec swap, you could get a set of P&P'ed 083's, and a roller cam; and run cirlcles around the vortec headed truck.

·
AK's and Chevrolets
47 Posts
P&P'ed 083's?

Please tell me more about these and where I can find them. I am looking to rebuild my TBI as well.
J

·
GMFS OG Member
760 Posts
083 is the last 3 digits in the casting number of the L98 head found on TPI 350 Camaros and Firebirds. I got a set from a dude on www.camaroz28.com . He wanted to get $75 for them and with shipping it was $150. They are a decent upgrade and are a true bolt on. :rocking:

·
AK's and Chevrolets
47 Posts
Cool, thanks :shake: ! Anymore fairly priced upgrades you can suggest to a stock 95 Chevy Suburban? Also, do you suggest any porting or roller rockers for those heads? I am looking to rebuild this 220000 mile best with some good quality parts.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
The ignition on these trucks is pretty decent, I don't see much reason to run aftermarket ignition unless you're going forced induction. Just make sure you're running good, correctly gapped plugs (single tip, copper :imo), good wires (acdelco, taylor), and that the wires are routed away from major heat sources (my little loom things cracked in half...sucks. I hate plastic).

Heres my list for when I win the lottery:
083 / L98 heads
Edelbrock 3704 intake manifold
new cam (undecided)
454 throttle body with not 454 injectors (9C1 caprice injectors I think...)
headers (only ones I've heard anything about are the Hooker Long Tube Competition headers, 91_bowtie has them)
custom tuned chip

more to come as I research it :D This is pretty low on the priority list though I have a feeling that if I added much power my 4l60e would give me the finger, so an NV4500 is in order first... :evil:

For quick easy power that can be hell on your drivetrain, you can't beat NOS. A supercharger could be added but the gains wouldn't be that great because these engines flow like crap stock. :imo

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Black_Chrome said:
the ignition will help out alot with the headers, i forget why but itll give u more power in coordination
:nono: I thought I told you to stop posting about shit you don't know about. :LOL:

If it were my burb, I'd be building a stroker. You're going to need all the torque you can get to get that brick moving. Whifflebat's list is pretty good, and relatively inexpensive.

·
AK's and Chevrolets
47 Posts
http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1810&page=1

See I have been reading this thread back and fourth for quit some time now and I'm with Whifflebat and everyone else that says a TBI can be built to perform and still maintain a decent amount of reliablity. "STROKER HUH?" What could one expect to pay for this, and what heads could be used as well? I am not against that or any other ideas you guys may have, I just want a strong running engine.

Long live the TBI!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts