GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got in the truck, started it, switched to 2wd. Service 4wd light came on, wouldn't go in 4wd or auto 4wd, press the no button, no light, wouldnt switch

Drove a couple minutes to the gas station, turned truck off, started it and message was gone, went into 4wd fine and seems to work ok

Could it have just been cold and i switched to 2wd to early? Or is this the beginning of an expensive repair bill?

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
So i got in the truck, started it, switched to 2wd. Service 4wd light came on, wouldn't go in 4wd or auto 4wd, press the no button, no light, wouldnt switch

Drove a couple minutes to the gas station, turned truck off, started it and message was gone, went into 4wd fine and seems to work ok

Could it have just been cold and i switched to 2wd to early? Or is this the beginning of an expensive repair bill?
Sounds like the truck is trolling you.

My old truck did that once. Never had one issue after that

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've had that and other messages show up over the years ... none of mine came back regularly .. and I have had no problems ...

If your worried - have your codes scanned by the dealer or free at auto parts stores - if you have a code(s) write them down and post here ...

·
HABS SUCK!!
1,833 Posts
My old one used to do that too, I got rid of it

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mine has done it twice in almost 11 years, probably 7-8 years apart. I'd almost think it was a maintenance alert, like the OLM, but that alert came up unprompted; i.e. I wasn't trying to engage or disengage 4WD. I just started the truck, and that came up. It's probably not an alert, but I've been able to ignore it. I personally wouldn't worry about it unless it does it again. The sooner it does it again, the more I'd worry.

A friend here at work has an '05 GMC Sierra, and Service 4WD came up regularly. That ended up being the encoder motor. She had a shop replace it, and IIRC, they saved her some money by replacing just the actual electric motor and not the entire encoder assembly.

I believe the button panel itself can also cause that error, so pulling the codes would definitely be wise if it becomes a recurring issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts