GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My service 4wd message has been coming and going alot lately and I changed the front accuator on the differential.........still there. It first started doing it while traveling down the freeway only but now it does it when ever. Still mostly when driving faster though. Any ideas? I couldnt find any bad connections on anything just earlier it wouldnt work. All the lights come on when I first start the truck then they all go off and it says service 4wd and no light indicates what range I am in. I came back and restarted the truck 30 min later and no problem the 2hi light came on which is normal and it looked all good. I switched to 4hi and it engaged find then I pressed the 4 lo button and it took a second like it was changed then service 4wd message came again. Does this sound like a bad transfer case motor or what? I really dont want to go to the dealer over this shit they will only piss me off to hell and back.

·
Registered
84 Posts
its the actual switch, guys have had problems with this before. you should have done a search before you bought a new actuator. I actually had this go wrong on my sierra, I had the switch replaced on mine under warranty.

·
BIG boys want BIG toys
129 Posts
Change the switch in the dash. thats what happen to mine when the service 4wd light was on.

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its the actual switch, guys have had problems with this before. you should have done a search before you bought a new actuator. I actually had this go wrong on my sierra, I had the switch replaced on mine under warranty.

I didnt replace the actuator because of that. I replaced it because i broke it off out messin around lol. I was just hoping to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I thought the switch problem was more of a 99-02 problem. I will pull the switch out of the dash tomorrow and check it though. I just think its not that though.

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just pulled the switch apart and the solder joints and such all look good. I think the problem is something like previously stated about the computer update. Im calling the dealer tomorrow as much as I hate to do this......grrrrr. Sometimes it will say service 4wd and no lights are on the dash switch. Then earlier it was working and I drove it cycled it through all the different ranges finally switched back to 2wd. Drove about 2 blocks and it says service 4wd again but the 2hi button stayed illuminated this time. WTF.

Hey post some pics of those new toyos Southern. So they fit ok huh.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I just pulled the switch apart and the solder joints and such all look good. I think the problem is something like previously stated about the computer update. Im calling the dealer tomorrow as much as I hate to do this......grrrrr. Sometimes it will say service 4wd and no lights are on the dash switch. Then earlier it was working and I drove it cycled it through all the different ranges finally switched back to 2wd. Drove about 2 blocks and it says service 4wd again but the 2hi button stayed illuminated this time. WTF.

Hey post some pics of those new toyos Southern. So they fit ok huh.
On my uncles 02 Z, it did basically the same thing you are saying yours does, it ended up being the transfer case motor. They charged him SO much for it, it was ridiculous. Which dealer do you go to? Just curious...

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I get the feeling my problem is going to be something either with the encoder motor or program. But.........beings it never did it till after about 15k from new.......its not the program. I bet its the transfer case motor or something of that sort. I am going to "sit" under it tomorrow and check out all of the wiring. Make sure the plugs are clean and have good connections. Contact cleaner here I come.:rocking:

Also does where is a good cheap place to pick up a switch. I am going to change it out anyways because its dirt cheap. There really isnt any contacts in it or anything just a fucking circuit board. Who would ever guess they make it so they cant be repaired. If its cheap and everyone has problems I am going to change it. By the way I still cant believe how fucking easy it was to pull the dash. Holly shit I should steal cars for a living.

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nobody knows a good place to order the 4wd switch?

·
Pat McCrotch
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there was a dood on here that fixed his himself with a little solder i think

I checked the solder joints on mine they all look good. No resistance to the plug pins. I just figured hey its cheap why not just change it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
on my 04 it did the same thing, dealer said it was the encoder, replaced under warrenty. all is good now.

Do you have a pic of your truck you can send me? Mine is the same color and I want to lift it as well. I would like to see a good pic of your truck.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
had the same problem with my 05 and brought it to the dealership and they replaced the front actuator and updated the software and it worked fine and the light went off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts