GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a k&n filterin my truck this afternoon and went into town (20 miles) when i got back into my truck the light came on, will it eventually shut off if it's from the filter? Also, i ordered a nelson tune today so will that for sure shut the damn thing off?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know thats what youd do if i actually thought something is wrong, the service engine soon light is related to emissions so i kinda know it was from putting a k&n in it, im just wondering if i should be expecting it to turn off soon, or if im going to have to stare at the damn orange lighted lettering till i get my tune

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
the SES light could be one of MANY things...not always emissions related, but a lot of times it is an O2 sensor...go to autozone or some auto parts store like that and get them to read the codes...i don't see how a K&N filter would cause the SES light to come on...

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just put a K&N filter in my '04 truck like 2 weeks ago and my light never came on. Try disconnecting your batery for like 5 minutes and reconnect it and see what happens. Did that to my eclipse and the light never came on again.

·
Registered
199 Posts
did it work??

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hehe, i dunno if i left it off long enough but i did find something else kinda funny, i forgot to plug my mass air flow sensor back in, so i plugged it in and disc. my battery again but the light is still on :insane: i coulda sworn i waited 5 minutes

·
Registered
199 Posts
HMMMMM dunno..wait and see what happens when you drive it around next time. If it's still on after you drive it disconnect the battery again and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I still say get it read. Your gas cap could be loose of all things, and that will make the light go off, alot more than just emissions.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whifflebat said:
I still say get it read. Your gas cap could be loose of all things, and that will make the light go off, alot more than just emissions.
Too bad a loose or bad gas cap is related to emissions, why do you think a truck fails smog if its gas cap leaks? It happened with my Gen 1 vortec motor in my 96. Emissions on a new vehicle stretches far beyond the the exhaust commin out yer tail pipes.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well i left my battery off for about 30 minutes just to make sure i waited long enough, low and behold...the light shut off

O yah, for the mods...go ahead and delete this now, problem is solved

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Slvrpismochevy96 said:
Too bad a loose or bad gas cap is related to emissions, why do you think a truck fails smog if its gas cap leaks? It happened with my Gen 1 vortec motor in my 96. Emissions on a new vehicle stretches far beyond the the exhaust commin out yer tail pipes.
twas just an example. We had a van here the other day that had a random misfire on a cylinder, and it threw a code. not exactly emissions related...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whifflebat said:
twas just an example. We had a van here the other day that had a random misfire on a cylinder, and it threw a code. not exactly emissions related...
Ok, and im sure the owners manual for that van doesnt say that the SES light is emissions related either...as my 2002 silverado manual does

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whifflebat said:
Ok, and im sure the owners manual for that van doesnt say that the SES light is just emissions related either...as my 2002 silverado manual does

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol, well im not about to actually get serious or offended by anything, all and all my problem is solved, zubyc just likes to say things like that to mess with me cuz we are local friends...o yah and to sneak in another post

1 - 20 of 20 Posts