GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this would be my first post here at gmfs. I really like the site and hope that I may have some positive input on the site. My question is if anyone has heard of any type of servicing or rebuild for the factory 10 bolt 8.5" rear LSD unit. I rebuilt the axle about a year ago and and at that time I read on alldata that the factory units are not serviceable. While that may be so, Im just hoping thats bs.

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
Service it using this :imo

·
Registered
11,334 Posts
I *think* you can put new clutches in it but theres really no point, its a piece of shit differential.

Replace it with a Detroit True Trac like the one posted.

·
Timbrage: Engage
5,667 Posts

yeah, its all serviceable

judging by the pricing of the shit new, you'd be better off spending the money on a trutrac

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
the Eaton LSD is also a good choice for a replacement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i figured if it could be done it wouldnt be worth it. I would rather swap the axle out for something bigger before i was to dump money into a 10 bolt

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
the 10 bolt is actually pretty damn strong. put in a good aftermarket posi unit like the True Trac or Eaton LSD and it should take pretty much anything you can throw at it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it did take an F350s front bumper and an instant drop when my 35in tire blew out from said bumper lol. Perhaps I will keep it then. I just dont want to have to rebuild it again to install a locker, might as well regear it at the same time tho. A bigger axle would look better under roughly 8in of lift. Then again so would a SFA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts