GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
Fully Floating

Pros: Much stronger, cheaper, easier to work on
Cons: Heavy son of a bitch (shouldn't really be an issue but it's true), Only comes in 8 lug

Semi Floating

Pros: Comes in 6 lug or 8 lug
Cons: Not as strong, limited quantities, more expensive

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
FF hangs lower. you can get it converted to 6 lug.
SF will probally hold enough power but if not you will loose the wheel where as the FF the wheels will stay on

·
Registered
144 Posts
SF is a C-clip design just like a stock 10 bolt. All stress is put on the carrier.
FF is full floating. weight is distributed amongst the shafts. SF ring gear is 9.5. FF is 10.5 or 11.5 on new diesels.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Semi float. Full float is for big ass tires or towing heavy loads.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
SF is a C-clip design just like a stock 10 bolt. All stress is put on the carrier.
FF is full floating. weight is distributed amongst the shafts. SF ring gear is 9.5. FF is 10.5 or 11.5 on new diesels.
What?

The carrier in the FF and SF see the same kind of stess with the exception that the SF carrier sees additional side loades due to the C-clip design.

Now, the axle shafts in the FF ONLY transfer torque from the carrier to the wheels, and are thicker. This is a huge strength advantage over the SF shafts which transfer torque AND carry the weight of the vehicle.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what are some vehicles that i could get a 14bolt SF 9.5 axle out of? im pretty sure escalades have them what else? also is there an id code or cerial/vin or something?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anybody know what vehicles i could get one of these out of? also if i change to a 14bolt SF rear...can i leave my front the same because it is a 4wd truck or do i have to change that too? stupid question probly but i have no idea...

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
anybody know what vehicles i could get one of these out of? also if i change to a 14bolt SF rear...can i leave my front the same because it is a 4wd truck or do i have to change that too? stupid question probly but i have no idea...
"one of these" being SF or FF? The SF can be found in some half ton trucks but mostly in 3/4 ton trucks (or vans). The FF can be found in some 3/4 tons and almost any 1 ton.

There are several variations of the FF with different gear options, WMS widths, slip on vs press on drums, and a few other details. With a 4 wheel drive you need to regear either the front or rear respectively with the opposing.

This could go on and on but I'll just post this site for reading about the FF
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/index.html

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well im asking if i did a 14 bolt SF 9.5. and whatever it had in it i just put
3.73s would i still have to do the front?

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
Yes unless you have 3.73's now, ratio is what matters not ring gear diameter.

·
GMFS Enforcer
3,568 Posts
Escalades do not have this axle.

These are the vehicles you need to look at:

88-98 1/2 Ton Z71 (68" Wide)
88-98 3/4 Ton 6 lug Van (68"-70")

The 88-98 3/4 Ton 6 lug trucks have this axle, but it is too narrow (65" wide) and would look funny.

These axles have the same 6-5.5" bolt pattern that your truck has so you wouldn't have to change anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You will probably need new wheels even if you convert to 6 lugs. Need to have a big enough hole in the middle for the axle bolt section to stick out. Overall unless you are running bigger tires than 35's, pulling more than 10,000 lbs. or making over $600 rwhp. I think it is pointless to do all that work.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmm...yea thats true. i just want it to be stong. if i just did like an eaton lsd or a true-trac, would that be just as good for me because somebody told me the factory axle shafts are weak? and that the 10 bolt weather or not it has stock or aftermarket gears it is still a shitty unit dont know if this is true either?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
hmm...yea thats true. i just want it to be stong. if i just did like an eaton lsd or a true-trac, would that be just as good for me because somebody told me the factory axle shafts are weak? and that the 10 bolt weather or not it has stock or aftermarket gears it is still a shitty unit dont know if this is true either?
I believe there is too much downgrading of the 10 bolt. With the G80 it rightfully can be classified as a "piece of shit" but with a decent aftermarket LSD or if left open, it can handle what most people consider "wheeling." And by this I mean the occasional mud hole or back fire road on 35s or the like. You will get people who agree with my side, and then those who HATE the 10 bolt. For what it looks like you will be using it for (not 39" tires or bigger or greater than 400 hp) you will most likely be fine. A 14sf would be a very nice upgrade, but a pricey one at that.
Here is a reminder of why you get rid of that G80, I saw this happen in person. WOT through a mud hole, one side caught the dry dirt on the edge coming out, and BAM. I believe it was on 35s....
HollisterTripDecember292006089.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree the 10 bolt is a decent unit, just get rid of the G80. I would go for the tru-trak personaly. I have a Detroit c-locker in my 1984 chevy with 4.10 gears and Superior bullet proof axles. It has a 400hp 383 and runs on 35" Swampers and I am not at all worried about breaking the axles with that setup. It stil has the 28 spline axles and the newer rear ends went to 31 spline which are stronger in the spine area since that is the weak point. I did break both of my stock rear axles once and took a few teeth of the ring gear, but I was young, stupid, drunk and pissed off when I did that. :D I reved it up to about 4 grand and dropped it in D then Kaboom. I don't recomend doing that. Didn't hurt the detroit locker a bit tho. lol
BTW that 1984 K-10 is for sale if anyone wants it. :bowtie:

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i actually dont have the G80...mine diff is open, but thanks guys i think im just going to keep the 10 bolt and just do gears and mabe down the road axle shafts.

·
Bayou Surface Drive, LLC
7,077 Posts
BTW truckman, 10 bolts are 30 spline not 31.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts