GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, you guys im new to this thread I have been a member over at fscf for a while. I came across this forum doing a search for cognito lifts and found that sweet white gmc whoever owns that your truck is bad ass. Well anyway I was looking for a lil help here. I have a 00 silverado with a 4 inch rancho lift and a three inch body lift. That I wheeled way to hard the truck is sitting on three wheels right now. I busted the front right wheel completely off the truck when I was mudding and hit a huge tree stump down here in florida. Well I decided I want to go bigger and this gives me a reason to. Well my question is should I go with a cognito lift for the money or should I go with the sfa even though I would only be able to afford a dana 44 and keep my stock 10 bolt rearend with 456 gears. Or should I opt for the cognito lift kit and save a lil money possibly. Would this ifs kit handle a set of 39.5 inch tires. Thinking that if I get the cognito I might not offroad nearly as much. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Adam said:
Thanks. :D

The lift kit itself can pretty much handle whatever you want to do to it. But the stock parts that the kit does not replace are the weak points. The cool thing about the Cognito kit is that it replaces your stock twig tierods, which are really the weakest point on IFS. Your call though. I will say that in my opinion Cognito is the strongest IFS lift out there and I am very happy with mine.
What is the cost of just the lift kit itself with the front shock hoops?

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
If you don't have a NEED SFA, i wouldn't recommend it...its so awesome to have, but to do it right, costs over $8K (that would prob be the minium for a D44 front and 14 bolt rear, but includes almost everything everything, tires, and everything else you need). If i was in your shoes, i would beef up the stock IFS parts where possible, maybe throw a 14 bolt rear in, and just not beat on it too too hard. If you do think you have the time and money needed, go SFA, you won't regreat it...but if you think money is that big of an issue, just get a beefier IFS kit and maybe beefier rear end and just replace parts if/when they break. It would take a lot of IFS parts breakin to equal 8K$$

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RedneckDude said:
If you don't have a NEED SFA, i wouldn't recommend it...its so awesome to have, but to do it right, costs over $8K (that would prob be the minium for a D44 front and 14 bolt rear, but includes almost everything everything, tires, and everything else you need). If i was in your shoes, i would beef up the stock IFS parts where possible, maybe throw a 14 bolt rear in, and just not beat on it too too hard. If you do think you have the time and money needed, go SFA, you won't regreat it...but if you think money is that big of an issue, just get a beefier IFS kit and maybe beefier rear end and just replace parts if/when they break. It would take a lot of IFS parts breakin to equal 8K$$
I was just curious as to where all the cost goes without the tires and wheels. Because correct me if im wrong because I propably am considering I dont know much about SFA's. I figured that it would cost about 1500 for the front axle with gears installed completely rebuilt from boyce equipment. Could do without the front driveshaft being connected for the time being until money comes in. So this is what I came up please help me out where needed.

SFA

Dana 44 Rebuilt with 456 gears- $1500
Fabritech SFA kit with steering components and dual shock hoops- 1000
10 inch Lift kit from a 73-87 chevy- 1000
10 bolt rearend with 456 gears- already have, will this work for now?
Brake Lines, Shocks, and Misc- 500+

Is there something else that im going to need?

IFS

Cognito Lift Kit- 3000 im guessing
Dual Shock hoops- 500 another guess
Shocks- a few hundred

Unless im missing something these two seem to cost about the same maybe im missing something major.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
More like around $2500 for the 44 with gears and fully rebuilt from boyce, plus shipping... Plus if you go with a GM dana 44 you are going to need a pass. drop t-case which could be around $500 to get and install.

The fabritech kit was more like $1500 I thought? And your crossover steering parts will be around $500 for the milled knuckle, steering arm, pitman arm, and draglink.

Everything else sounds ok price wise but don't forget a rear shaft, 13" of lift is a hell of alot and not sure if the stock shaft will handle that... Plus you need a front. Costs me about $200 each for driveshaft mods.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
willyswanter said:
More like around $2500 for the 44 with gears and fully rebuilt from boyce, plus shipping... Plus if you go with a GM dana 44 you are going to need a pass. drop t-case which could be around $500 to get and install.

The fabritech kit was more like $1500 I thought? And your crossover steering parts will be around $500 for the milled knuckle, steering arm, pitman arm, and draglink.

Everything else sounds ok price wise but don't forget a rear shaft, 13" of lift is a hell of alot and not sure if the stock shaft will handle that... Plus you need a front. Costs me about $200 each for driveshaft mods.
Thanks for the help man. I think im going to end up going with cognito kit. Figured there was alot more to it then what I was coming up with. Going to have to wait until I pick up a 73-87 chevy in the future to use as my toy for the mud here in florida. Does anyone here run or know someone who runs 40 inch tires or bigger with the cognito kit and a body lift? Trying to figure out if im going to have any rubbing issues. I wouldnt think so considering I was able to fit 38's on my truck with just the rancho kit with the torsion bars cranked and a body lift with slight rubbing. Also is it possible to run 39.5 inch sts tires with just the suspension lift if I decided on taking off my body lift?

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
well looks like a woke up to late to chime in :crazy:

Boyce would charge you like jason said 2500+ for a rebuilt dana 44. The fabritech kit is more like 1700 (I talked to them extensivly) and Honestly I dont like the design of it. You still need shit like shocks, brake lines, shafts, steering componets etc...

Also your forgetting a huge factor. Instal. A shop would charge you multiple times more than what an IFS lift would cost.

·
Proud Chevy Owner
859 Posts
Ill do the sas for $50, all i need is for you to supply the lift,parts,tools,shop,2 mechanics and some beer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry know this thread has been dead for a while but was curious as to where the 2500 for a dana 44 comes from does the shipping really cost 1000 dollars. Seems a bit ridiculous or are there prices on there website just way off. Because as far as I can tell it would be 1250 and with gears something around 1500 without shipping of course. Please help me out here I am still curious about the SFA just want the strength sort of worried about a 12 inch ifs lift.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
That cost is for a GM 44. If you run that you will need to swap t-cases which adds even more cost to the project. But Boyce does have alot of hidden costs. When I was shopping around for a dana 60 there site added up to about $2200 but when I called them it was $3900. You have to pay for EVERYTHING seperate. I was quoted almost $500 for shipping from them. Now on a ford 44 you can add almost $1000 to that price from Boyce. I would bet a ford 44 would easily run $2500 just for the axle from them not including shipping.

·
6,656 Posts
and that is why I have been very busy lately building axles for people!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man, I am stuck on going with a SFA on my rig and I just dont trust ifs anymore. I just about killed myself when i was mudding last time the truck was a few inches from rolling over end over end. I hit the ground so hard the air bags came out. There is no way to cut corners a lil for the time being? So I could leave those things for the future. This is not my daily driver either. Still need to be able to start it up and move it though. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Find a used axle and throw it in, ebay is a great place to look. Rebuild it later, most will still last 100k miles, they may not look or sound pretty but they will run fine.

·
6,656 Posts
if its not a dd then a non-rebuilt axle wouldnt be so bad, but if you put alot of highway miles on it at least do the basics like bearings and kingpins/balljoints (depending on axle)

·
this
1,584 Posts
fix what you broke on the IFS truck and just buy an old SFA truck to beat up
Have you ever rode in a truck with a solid SFA and stiff leaf springs? Not a fun ride..it will get old after a while.
But if you REALLY want a sfa..well, it would be pretty pimp! :bowtie:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Actually mine rides really good... But I have leaves removed in the front and I run 1/2 ton springs on a 1 ton... It rides better than the truck did stock, way better than my buddies k5's and trucks...

·
this
1,584 Posts
K5's were a little heavier so i think they had heavier duty leaf springs on them to make up for that.
But yes...always run 1/2 ton springs (or even better- ford 9 inch coils)...and if you dont drive it on the highway take off the shocks. If the axle is allowed to move it doesnt break as easy.

The 4x4 IFS trucks ive ridden in were alot smoother riding than when i drove my 4x4 on the road. But..they were heavier than me so i guess it isnt fair to compare.
so..you got the $ for a SAS then go for it. the little bit rougher ride will make up for the extra strength

·
6,656 Posts
if you want a rough price breakdown look at the SFA tech page I did on here, its got a price list on teh bottom.

·
THEmotherf*ckingDEALER
1,861 Posts
If you are gonna sas, judging by your pics you have know how. Go with stock height 52" leaves and make the mounts/ shackle hanger. Box the inside of the frame where the shackle will mount and make your front brackets. The 52's will ride awesome and flex great. They are the stock rear sprigs from a 73-87. I reccomend crossover steering from ord, or hy steer

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.