GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have a 5" block with 3/4 ton springs. I still have my stock 2" block in the shed and 1.5" zero rate I'm waiting to put in. If I got this right a shackle flip will net me 4", plus the stock 2'' block, plus the 1.5" zero rate, and a shim to correct the angles, should get me around a 2.5" of added lift to the rear? I'm thinking about maybe getting a 1" block instead of using the stock 2"er :shrug: I probably wont get a cowl hood anytime soon so I figured this would about even out with getting a cowl hood color matched and on the truck. Oh yeah, u-bolt reversal kit will be added too. Just a thought I was thinking about doing. Any input is appreciated greatly! I might not do is right away, but I just want to figure out some options. I got more important things I need to take care of first.

·
Registered
446 Posts
From what i have read on shackle flips you will prob have bout 1.5-2'' if you move the hanger 1'' forward. I dont have first hand experience with it tho.

·
Parking garages ftl
552 Posts
Yeah I would recommend a smaller block to start out with. If you need more height, you can get a longer shackle.

I just went off of how much lift I had in the front, and added everything up to get what I wanted out back.

I don't know how much will show hanging down with your body lift though--just something to keep in mind

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
From what i have read on shackle flips you will prob have bout 1.5-2'' if you move the hanger 1'' forward. I dont have first hand experience with it tho.
I'd rather run a smaller block than compensate for a larger one by moving the hanger. :shrug:

·
4,725 Posts
since you are going to have to shim, i would run a different shackle instead of a 1" block. you'll have a little less axle wrap without that additional 1" block and your spring rate will be stiffer with a longer shackle(still softer than original hanger setup). the challenge with that is either finding someone with the exact setup to know what size shim you will need or installing it all and ordering a shim afterwards. if you are good with autocad you could probably do it that way. your other option would be to have a 2" thick zero rate which I am sure someone like DIY4x or RuffStuff would do. Just trying to avoid using a block.
I can tell you that on my HD, i have a typical drop shackleflip with a ~6.5" shackle and zero rate. needed an 8 degree shim.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:hmm: I'll have to redo some thinking and recalculating of cost, because if it's going to be near the cost of say 6"-8" springs then I might as well go that route :shrug: Thank you guys :shake:

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'd rather run a smaller block than compensate for a larger one by moving the hanger. :shrug:
Optimum shackle angle for ride quality is 45 degrees. Id rather move hangar/add .5-1'' of block than ride in a wagon.......just sayin.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shucks I just called the local spring shop, $350 to rearch both spings for 2"-3" and then they'll take out that big flat leaf on the bottom and replace it with 4 or 5 smaller leafs that step down for another 2-3" then I can use my stock 2" block. Sounds like a deal to me :shrug:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Shucks I just called the local spring shop, $350 to rearch both spings for 2"-3" and then they'll take out that big flat leaf on the bottom and replace it with 4 or 5 smaller leafs that step down for another 2-3" then I can use my stock 2" block. Sounds like a deal to me :shrug:
Sounds stiff. Do shackle flip and put 1/2 tons back in imo

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well he said $300-$350, I'm just expecting the higher. Plus I don't have the tools or know how to install a shackle flip and figure out the shim degree :suicide2: I was expecting to pay for the labor. This way I won't have to see as much as you would with the shackle flip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts