GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...First off I want to thank everyone for their help with my previous shackle question. I finally decided on a brand and found a place that carried them. When I got down to the store the guy offered to install them for me for $75. I thought that was a rip seeing how I only paid $35 for the shackles themselves. But here comes my question. He mentioned something about bending the body in order to get the old shackles off. When I got down underneath the truck I realized what he was talking about, but even after I bent it as much as I could, I still couldn't get the old shackle off. I spent four hours with this shit and I had to end up hooking the stock shackle back into place. What is the deal with this? What do I have to do to get the shackle off a sportside truck? Any help or suggestions is greatly needed. Thanks.

·
Knuckle Buster
1,001 Posts
get a sawzall or cutoff wheel, and cut it...i ran into that when i lowered a friends truck...i didn't know about it, and had to cut out a little bit of that lip you're hitting to get the bolt out...it shouldn't take long.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I learned this after the fact that I cut mine off but...

Take off your hitch, un bolt the whole thing and that will give you access to the lower bolt. Take that bolt out, make sure you have a jack under the shackle perch so the leaf doesnt fly up and hit the bottom of the bed like mine did...doh.... But after you get the bottom one out you can jack the truck up enough that it lifts the shackle up and you can get the top one out... I reversed my bolt so that it comes out from the other side and that worked great... Hope you havent cut anything yet, but you live and you learn... Thanks to lowred for telling me how to do it after I cut em...LOL

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Loki said:
get a sawzall or cutoff wheel, and cut it...i ran into that when i lowered a friends truck...i didn't know about it, and had to cut out a little bit of that lip you're hitting to get the bolt out...it shouldn't take long.
Thanks Loki I'll try that tomorrow.

Aberbaseball7: Thanks for the suggestion. That is pretty much what I was doing, except on a sportside there is this little lip where the side of the bed and the floor of the bed come together and that is preventing the shackle from lifting up high enough to get the bolt out...guess GM doesn't really want you to mess with this shit :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Oic, well I have the fleetside so I cant go look at it... But good luck..LOL It makes a noticeable difference at first, then its like I need to go lower..LOL

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
I did my friend's 2000 sportside, and what I did is I unblolted the last two bolts in the bed and had my friend pick it up a bit. After that, the bolt slid right out....

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
Yeah, I reckon if u had to, you could undo the bed bolts and lift up the bed...its not that hard, should be like 8 bolts, 4 on each side...somethin like that...they are usually simple to get to and take a min. to get each out...

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions...I like the idea of lifting the bed up a little bit. How many of the bed bolts do you think I'll need to take out and where exactly are the located...I only saw like two when I was underneath my truck.

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
HumanZoom said:
Thanks for all the suggestions...I like the idea of lifting the bed up a little bit. How many of the bed bolts do you think I'll need to take out and where exactly are the located...I only saw like two when I was underneath my truck.
We only took the last one of each side and were able to lift the bed a just enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts