GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed some DJM two inch drop shackles not too long ago (on my RCSB GMC). They worked fine at first, but then after a little bit of driving I noticed some squeaking (or squawking...I'm not sure how to describe it) when the truck would flex (and I'm not talking anything major, just small stuff: i.e. turning in and out of my driveway, some steep parking lot entrances, etc.). When you rock the truck sideways, you can hear it really bad. I remember reading somewhere that half the problems with the shackles are that you tighten them too tight. So I got out my wrench and socket and went to work...problem solved...for a little bit. This has been an on going problem, which is solved for a little bit when I loosen the shackles some more, but comes back soon after. Well, I've gotten to the point, where I'm afraid to loosen them anymore and I still have a minor case of the squeaking. Is this normal? Do I have a bad set of shackles? Is there any way to solve this?

Sorry for the really long post. Also, I've held off posting this problem for a little bit, because I thought I read a solution to it somewhere on this site. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find that post (if it even exsists). If this has been answered before, could someone please direct me to that post? Thanks in advance :bowtie:

·
Handshake Drugs
310 Posts
I have stock shackles and my truck makes that same sound.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
On the stepside beds, there's a seam directly above the shackle. The seam(where the bedfloor and sides meet up) rubs the top of the shackle. this might be your prob.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
did you fully tighten the bolts while the truck was on the jack stands? if so, you preloaded the suspension, and this would cause it to squeak.

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
If you tightened the bolts while it was on jackstands, that will cause it to squeak.

·
Registered
785 Posts
yep I had that problem with my belltech's on my 00 silverado, I have djm shackles and no squeak on my 03 silverado

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
03rado said:
yep I had that problem with my belltech's on my 00 silverado, I have djm shackles and no squeak on my 03 silverado
Did ya grease em up at all? Mine squeaks too, WD-40 solved it for a day lol

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Mine never sqeaked with me. But I be damn if my lowering leafs don't! Anyone know anything bout them?!

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First off...I want to say thanks for all your help. I love how this community just steps right in and tries to help solve a member's problems. You guys rock :gmfs:

Second off, I want to apologize for being away (and not responding), but between a full time job, trouble with Johnny Law, and a slight girl problem, it's been hectic to find time to post here.

Now...on to the topic at hand. I've been really fed up with this shackle shit for a while now, so today I tried to see if I could solve this problem (with the help of y'all suggestions). With my last go, I think I loosened the bolts too much, which caused the shackles to rock back and forth (like when you stop or turn). I grabbed some grease and went to work at trying to get it all lubed up the best I could (without having to take the shackles off...since they are a bitch on a stepside). I think it helped a little, but I don't think the shackles were the main problem. I think the squak actually is coming from where the leaf springs are hooked together. I sprayed a little WD-40 and sure enough it silenced the squeak. So, then I went after it with some heavy-duty grease to see if it will stay silent for very much longer. So as of right now...no squak..which is good, but I'm just wondering when it will come back.

Anyway, thanks again for all your help...GMFS is a great place to be :rocking:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts