GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have been noticing more that people have put full shackles in the front instead of towhooks

does anyone know the best way to do it so it looks decent

i dont have the lower plastic piece on my bumper so it shows alot more than normal

does anyone have any pics of the shackles with a body lift also??

·
For Offroad Use Only
285 Posts
The OBS Tow hooks are VERY good and strong hooks. I wouldn't replace them just to do it personally, no need to. On mine, I will probably be putting shackles on my front end, but that's only because my frame has been modified for the SAS, and the original mounting holes are no longer there, otherwise I'd put the OE hooks back on. I've actually still been considering it, but the way my frame is, the shackles are a better choice for my application. Just my 2¢

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
i have to agree the obs hooks were good quality and big enough where you could use them these newer ones suck!

·
GMFS slowest truck :read:
5,501 Posts
yall must not get really stuck...OE tow hooks are all less than imprssive. shackles are a MUCH better design. single sheer anything sucks. double sheer is just SOOO much stronger...plus its easier/safer to work with shackles.

·
Canadian Chapter
2,283 Posts
they look cool. other than that i have yet to break a hook on my obs. the nbs i had was a different story :nono:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes i know the oem hooks are plenty strong on the obs trucks, but i was goin for looks and where we go sometimes, pulling straight ahead may not be an option if you get stuck so a full shackle would be much better than the oem hooks

·
:bishplz:
5,053 Posts
I like the oem hooks on my obs because they help hide the frame since I don't have the lower valence on. Without the hooks (or with shackles that hang down as opposed to sticking straight out), you can see right into the frame. Since the hooks mount inside the frame, they help a lot.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Not real sure what that link has to do with the shackles/tow hook question.
But the OBS tow hooks are forged, so they're super strong. The NBS ones break easily because they're just cast metal. I have seen bent tow hooks and stuff on OBS trucks bet never a broken one.

Edit: Now I see the link..

·
haz 12"s!
4,531 Posts
Id love me some D rings on the front of my rig, but it looks a bit challenging with a BL.. I dont even have the hooks anymore because you have to cut the hell out of the valence to make them work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts