GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm pretty new here so if someone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. I'm not sure if this has been covered already, but if it has could someone please show me the post. I tried looking through some of them, but with no luck.

What I'm looking to do is lower the back end of my 03 Sierra about 2 inches just to give it the leveled out look. What brand shackles would you guys recommend? Also, is this a job that should be easy enough to do by myself at home or should I get it professionally done?

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
ground force isnt bad either, they have a good warranty... but shackles have no worries, there isnt a whole lot to go wrong.

·
Wanna B Jack o all Trades
9,823 Posts
you did that one 2 cousins rides? lol

youll be helping me soon to i hope

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the helps guys. Now that I got some brands all I have to do is price them... :D

I think you all are right though. This is definately an at home job. The only reason I asked, was a couple of years ago my uncle tried to install them on his Silverado and he said he had a tough time (probably because he didn't know what the hell he was doing). The other thing that concerned me was that my uncle said his ride was all shot to hell after the install. This somehow makes me think he either 1) bought a crappy brand or 2) installed them wrong. But I dunno...even if there was a rougher ride, I'd still do it. Its gotta look good :cool:

Also...
OrangeCrush: check your PMs

·
Loves yoga pants
2,408 Posts
HumanZoom said:
Thanks for all the helps guys. Now that I got some brands all I have to do is price them... :D

I think you all are right though. This is definately an at home job. The only reason I asked, was a couple of years ago my uncle tried to install them on his Silverado and he said he had a tough time (probably because he didn't know what the hell he was doing). The other thing that concerned me was that my uncle said his ride was all shot to hell after the install. This somehow makes me think he either 1) bought a crappy brand or 2) installed them wrong. But I dunno...even if there was a rougher ride, I'd still do it. Its gotta look good :cool:

Also...
OrangeCrush: check your PMs
I've had and heard of a few others with vibration problems...4 degree shims helped work this problem out...if it occurs on your ride.

I used Ground Force...and only paid about 45-50 bucks with tax for em.

·
Registered
639 Posts
HumanZoom we have the same truck....just got some ordanary 2" shackles...and you can see from this picture what it looks like afterwards..

shackles rule....the guy who did mine used an air socket thingiee and had it done in 15 min. he was quick.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
atomoverride said:
HumanZoom we have the same truck....just got some ordanary 2" shackles...and you can see from this picture what it looks like afterwards..

shackles rule....the guy who did mine used an air socket thingiee and had it done in 15 min. he was quick.
nice truck!

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Indeed they do rule. I knew I wanted to lower the back end for a while now, but if I ever needed some more convincing all I had to do was look at your truck, atom. :D BTW, what brand did you use and how is your ride since you installed?

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OKLAGMCRUISER said:
I've had and heard of a few others with vibration problems...4 degree shims helped work this problem out...if it occurs on your ride.

I used Ground Force...and only paid about 45-50 bucks with tax for em.
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind...

Just wondering, how much how the shims usually run for? Just trying to budget everything :anitoof:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Well the truth? the shackels where free for me...the dude had them in his garage...what brand they were I dont know they were black looked like my old ones just longer. (I Left my stock ones there) as for ride, I CANT SAY ENOUGH SWEET ASS THINGS ABOUT THEM. serious the ride is smoother, I can see more out my rear mirror now....

Over all freeway driving is good, city driving is awesome. worth your time to do it.

LOWRED: thanks bro, it will be better once I get my 20's back.

If you guys want to know what I am going to do next its really cool, I am going to get my 3rd brake light, and my taillights tinted. should be pretty cool, and maybe I Can finaly get thouse flames on my truck...I bought some VINYL tribal flames off ebay and a custom matching one for my tailgate.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Well I also have an 03 GMC SCSB :) And I installed a set of 2" shackles tonight, dont have pics cause it was dark... I dont know how other people have done it, but I cut my old shackles off because the way the bolts are factory I didnt see anyway to get them out without cutting them off... But it took me like an hour and just cut them off turned the bolts around so now it will be easy to change them again if I need to... Ill grab some pics tomorrow and post... I got mine for $35 from a member here on the board...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Aberbaseball7 said:
Well I also have an 03 GMC SCSB :) And I installed a set of 2" shackles tonight, dont have pics cause it was dark... I dont know how other people have done it, but I cut my old shackles off because the way the bolts are factory I didnt see anyway to get them out without cutting them off... But it took me like an hour and just cut them off turned the bolts around so now it will be easy to change them again if I need to... Ill grab some pics tomorrow and post... I got mine for $35 from a member here on the board...
OUCH....the dude who did mine didnt cut anything....in fact the old ones were completly in tact. He just jacked up the back then removed 2 other bolts that hold on the bed jacked up the bed higher to gain some more access then replaced the ones that were ont here. Then he bolted everything back up I would say 15-20min TOPS it went by real quick. But he did have an air bolt thingiee...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts