GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've put on my 20s and bagged my truck, when I get on a particularly rough piece of road the steering wheel will move back and forth if you don't grip it tightly. It's not like it's ripping out of your hand, and its only moving a half inch or so back and forth .. about the same amount you can move the steering back and forth without weaving back and forth.

Anyone know what might be causing this? Is it a bad front end alignment, bad wheel balancing? Or could it be a result of the new tires, 245/40-20s ... I'm used to stockers.

It's not bad, but it would be nice to get rid of it if I can. I aslo sometimes get some vibration in the front (a different feeling) it's usually aroudn 60mph and if you speed up or slow down some it mostly goes away ... I was thinking this definately could be that I need to have the wheel balancing checked ... thanks.

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
Most NBS bagged guys I've talked to have a similar problem. I've heard it has to do with the rack-and-pinion steering design, it's bump steer and there ain't much we can do about it.

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LowBlue02 said:
Most NBS bagged guys I've talked to have a similar problem. I've heard it has to do with the rack-and-pinion steering design, it's bump steer and there ain't much we can do about it.
Bump steer came to mind, but I wasn't sure this was the correct use of the term :evillol: ... it's not really bothering me. I wonder if you could install a steering stabilizer like the 4x4 guys do, although I don't know if it would effect ground clearance. Just a thought.

A factory truck might not have it, but they can't push a quarter down the road either :LOL:

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
02Silverado said:
Would fliping the tie rods fix this? I have the same thing :pissed:
I don't see where it would do much, my truck is running at about a 3 or 4 drop in the front, so not much strain on the tie rods .. it's seeming to me it's normal now that you guys have chimed in .. I'd like to see how many other people are experiencing it too. And maybe some 4x4 guys can chim in about the steering stabilizer.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
So how much gap do you ride at between the tires and fender?

I have the coolride also.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
my truck does the same thing... i think it has mostly to do with the fact that we no longer front springs... The truck just sways back and forth when u hit the bumps. On the way to school, there is one area of road that has one bump in it, it makes my truck shudder, then will gentley recover.

My truck did it when it was bagged on stockers too.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
2k1slvrdo said:
my truck does the same thing... i think it has mostly to do with the fact that we no longer front springs... The truck just sways back and forth when u hit the bumps. On the way to school, there is one area of road that has one bump in it, it makes my truck shudder, then will gentley recover.

My truck did it when it was bagged on stockers too.
Well that elminates my thought of it being the tires :anitoof: Is it worse/better/same with low pros then the stockers.

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
if its any better with the stockers, i can't notice it, so i'm gonna say, the same.

·
Registered
559 Posts
mine does it when my truck isnt at its aligned ride height, i just adjust it a little bit up or down and then it usually goes away, dont know if that was of any help but that happens a lot to me

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
I think I may have experienced this when i added the shackle to my truck to fix the chevy lean :bawl: :anitoof: :guns: :ninja:

·
Changed my life
1,218 Posts
Slammedchevy01 said:
I think I may have experienced this when i added the shackle to my truck to fix the chevy lean :bawl: :anitoof: :guns: :ninja:

:wtf2: We're talkin about the front end, man. :uhoh2:

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
Same happens on mine. I don't like it at all. Some of the roads in Pasadena are crap..... :read:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts