GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup, well I've had to take my gate back a few times and they said they have sanded it down. I got it back Tuesday and after it sits in the sun, the handle outline bleeds thru. My friend and I popped off the bezel and realized it was only spot welded, and its not a full bead. That would be the problem correct? Dont you have to spot weld until you get a solid bead? So now I have to take it back, and found out they broke my bezel too :insane: :bawl: :crazy:

·
Member #670
1,860 Posts
wrong forum man...however, i believe that everyone that has done this has done a full bead all the way around...just make them do it the way you want, you paid for it so dont let them get away with shitty work, ride them untill its exactly the way you want it.

Oh yeah and make them pay for the bezel.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
yeah they owe you a bezel and they should finish the job. im not sure if thats the problem, but ive always heard that you need to spot it until its a full bead.

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
Just a few tacks won't let that filler plate flex with the body. You need a full bead of tacks to do it right. I'm not sure about the shop that did that much they sure shortcutted the process. It is the source of your problem.

Cameron

·
Orale Homes....
1,796 Posts
Same happened to me although it took a while before I noticed. After I grinded the tailgate, I realized they had only spot welded it. I busted out my welder and just welded it back up myself with a thinner gauge metal template (the one in the handle flip kit was too thick). I spot welded until it looked like a full bead....

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well here are some pics finally:
153b518d.jpg
39e5a613.jpg
also is this warpage or in the paint, there is a slight wave. How is it fixable?
1bbbc38d.jpg
Thanx!

·
03 Tahoe
1,364 Posts
They are good looking tacks but they need to be all around....it will get worse. I say find a shop that does it right.....

Cameron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts