GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you remove the window when you welded them up? Also can someone post pictures of shaving them? Thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
are you referring to those "gaps" in the roof that have black rubber filling them in?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
yes sir he is. i would imagine ud have to. if you doing all that, might as well do the third break light to. i know i would for body work and to paint it correctly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah those are thenones I'm talking about and I just finished the third break light. I was just wondering how people shaved them

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
wouldnt those crack after a little while from flex? seems like some things are there for a reason

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
wouldnt those crack after a little while from flex? seems like some things are there for a reason
This is what I'm thinking as well...You need those strips for the cab to flex. If you weld them up, that's going to cause problems for a truck that is even rarely driven. I mean I see that all the time at shows, but those trucks are trailered in and don't move until it's time to leave.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a truck with them done and they never cracked. My buddy shaved them though so I don't know he went about doing it

·
Geresy Farms
1,292 Posts
Take out the window, it is stupid not to. No reason to risk ruining the glass. If you don't then there is a area that will allow moisture to get in and start rust as you won't be able to weld the ends 100%. Also spray on some weld through primer on the backside and the roof seam area to give a little added corrosion protection. P

It won't crack as long as you weld in a strip of metal. Don't just fill with filler.

·
Not now chief!
1,173 Posts
Had mine shaved on my old truck...pretty sure he welded some sheetmetal in there when he done it...either way, I drove it daily and never cracked...seen the truck recently and still looks great...

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
what I did on mine was get some small pieces of steel flatbar from home depot and cut & shaped it to fit. I'd cut the pieces to fit the chanel and get it lined up with the bottom edge right above the back window. I'd plug weld it at the bottom and then slowly bend it along the curce of the roof, welding ever couple inches as I went along. Got kind of tricky at the front edge because the channel is so shallow so I got some pieces cut and shaped right then just welded them in and grinded them down until they matched the shape of the roof. I'm sure there's and easier way to do it but I had to clue and went about it the best way I knew how. Came out really good. I thought I had pics on my PB account but they're all on my computer at home. Shoot me a PM with your email addy. and I can send you a few in the morning before I go to work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info guys. Figured I would have to take it out to weld the bottom piece in all the way. Bagged usmc you have a clean truck. Who you with by the way out in Yuma?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts