GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I guess this coming up weekend im gonna start shaving my tailgate and putting in the license plate box any tips on it ?

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
yeah i agree on the license plate stayin in a roll pan... but just take your time on the welds and keep it cool so you dont warp the tailgate

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Do what you like. Thats my first tip. I think the license plate in the tailgate looks sweet. Start off with putting about 4 tacks to hold on the handle filler. Wait a minute, and tack in between the welds. Wait a few minutes, and do some more tacks. Dont put too many tacks on the tailgate quickly. Take you about 1 hour to do tack it up, letting it cool between tacks. Putting too many too close together at the same time will warp the hell out of it. Good luck

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright thanks for the help kyle did you do your tailgate i guess i needa use the same advice on the license plate box

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
maybe you think it does, but if Jaron likes it, ohwell. I'm not too big on it either. Bro, anything custom will draw attention. Even if it's sidewas, people will still like it since it isnt stock. Yea, I did my tailgate handle. I took my time, and it didnt warp at all. I painted it, and it came out flawless. Just take your time on the license plate box. It's pretty straight forward. Lay the box how you want it, and use a die-grinder and cut out the hole in the tailgate. Tack weld it in, doing this very slowly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts