GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the Tailgate Handle Relocator from sirmikes and put the relocator on tonight but the plate that comes with it doesnt curve to the tailgate so do I just put some filler over it after im done welding it in and sand it down to the curves of the tailgate? or does anyone have any tips for me?

·
Weird Turns Pro.
6,251 Posts
bend it as close as you can to the contour of the tailgate, that way you'll use a minimum amount of body filler. Filler shouldnt take the place of metal.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
filler is bad. Use the lease amount as possible. If you must use a lot, use a fiberglass type filler, then use regular filler. Get the good stuff also.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know i dont need to use much filler but i am going to do a little skim coat if needed. BeyondStatic did you use any filler on yours? Do you got some pics of it somewhere? Here is what 1 of my dads friends who owns a body shop in houston recommended.....

I dont know if anyone has used this but if you have is it at least pretty decent? 16$ a can.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I dont have any progress pics of mine, except in primer. You will have to use filler, no matter what. Use some fiberstrand type filler to rough it up, and use bondo type filler for the fine tuning. Should hold up great if you use a small amount.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya well I will upload pics as soon as I can to my site. Its kinda long and drawn out becuase im doing the tailgate, stake pockets, plus had to weld up some holes from the previous bed owners bars on top. And in the end of all of this ill start on my caddys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts