GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 752 Posts

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a used LQ9 6.0 motor, harness and computer out of an 05 Escalade. Plans so far are LT headers, camshaft, new springs, gaskets, timing chain, oil pump, new head bolts, valve seals and guides. After I get it on the stand, tear it down I'll know more. No hurry wanting to drop it in, I'm shooting for a February or March finish time. All boils down to how the internals look.

·
TEAM FUEL MOTORSPORTS
7,891 Posts
Nice!

I'd like to find a 6.0 motor to build up on the stand. Then swap into my Burb at some point.

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the motor on the stand. Couldn't find any M10 x 1.5 bolts to mount on the stand, even Fastenal would have to order. Amazon has some but a lot of negative reviews on them being to short. Tried one of my A/C mounting bolts in the stand and block... perfect! Went to the Cadillac stealership and told him I needed four of those bolts. Fixed me up for $1.74 each so the motor came off the floor. For reference if anyone having the same issue finding bolts, the part number is 11516109.

Removed the waterpump, a/c brackets, cooling lines and wiring harness.

·
Sexually identifies as a shopping cart.
4,253 Posts
Imo, no real reason for it to still look like a complete engine at this point.

·
n. fil-dert.
6,930 Posts
Couldn't find any M10 x 1.5 bolts
Next time you're in a bind think about threaded rod. Then you can make them any length you want.

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
I got bolts at fkn Ace Hardware. How the hell fastenal didnt have them is mind blowing.

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It takes like 10 minutes to completely dissasemble.. hurry up
Imo, no real reason for it to still look like a complete engine at this point.
I'm can't remember if I was that impatient when I was young, probably was just can't remember?

Ok to start off we do actually have an LQ9. Flat top = LQ9, Dished = Lq4 woot!

Putting some heat on the crank bolt and my Impact easily removed it.

Chrysler balancer tool loaner from Autozone worked well except the small rod that goes into the crank was to short. Used the loosened crank bolt and brought her home with a big socket.

Happy to see the lifter valley was clean and under the valve covers as well.

Used a couple water pump bolts as handles when removing the camshaft.

It was challenging getting to the rear cover with the engine stand head covering the bolts. I had the perfect 10mm wrench, long and offset. That was the first time I've used that oddball wrench.

All the rod & mains looked really good as did the crankshaft.

Now off to the machine shop for a hot bath and some rejuvenating.

·
This place sucks dicks
4,938 Posts
Your thread title has always said LQ9...........but you seemed surprised to have an LQ9...........Im confused.

1 - 20 of 752 Posts