GMC Truck Forum banner

681 - 700 of 712 Posts

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #681 (Edited)
How's the new cam down low? I just bought a rcsb that has a lq9 but it is also all wheel drive I'm going to put exhaust and cam in it but undecided about the cam

EBay# 143450492394

It feels much more responsive on the throttle. It takes less pedal to get moving and even less while cruising to get from like 55mph to 75mph. The same throttle input taking off from a stop will now break the tires much easier through first and second.

I haven't done a burnout yet but I'd imagine the difference would be negligible. What really surprised me, on the hwy it's a hell of a lot quieter in the cab and the little drone I had is now completely gone! The valvetrain is much quieter too.

The Sloppy Stage II kinda rocked the truck side to side at idle. The Little Chopper really exacerbated the rocking enough so, It was almost irritating. The mail order tune had the "Idle Adaptive Spark Control" Overspeed & Underspeed settings at -13 and 13. I lowered them to -8 and 8. That stopped all that rocking and idles so dam smooth now. I'm going to bump it up to -10 and 10 to get some of the "chop" sound back with probably a little shake.

The only thing I don't like is the smell. Anytime you add more camshaft overlap you have more un-burnt fuel at idle. If you have emission testing narrow LSA cams with a lot of overlap will fail. In SC we don't have testing.

·
Registered
368 Posts
@RedXray where did you buy your speed engineering headers from? Did you buy 13/4 or 17/8 primarys also how was the fit? Is speed engineering a forum sponsor? Do they offer discounts?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #683
@RedXray where did you buy your speed engineering headers from? Did you buy 13/4 or 17/8 primarys also how was the fit? Is speed engineering a forum sponsor? Do they offer discounts?
I bought my 1-3/4" from Speed Engineering. Don't know about any discounts, maybe Black Friday???

They fit fine with the only issues was clearance with both the aluminum heat shields on the lower part of the firewall. The o2 sensor hits the shield on the drivers side and the primaries hit the shield on the passenger side. I just removed both shields. The supplied foil type header gaskets will leak. You'll need the GM manifold gaskets, I used "MAHLE MS16124" gaskets. They are the exact same as the GM gaskets but only $13 a set.

The SE supplied band clamps that come with the crossover (or off road) pipe have/had a bad reputation of being junk. They may have upgraded since I bought my system. I used 3" Torca AccuSeal clamps with no issues.

Drivers o2 sensor and the shield contact area.

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #684
Been wanting a BedRug for quite awhile. I probably dropped a 100 lbs getting rid of the 20" spare and heavy rubber bed mat. The shipping weight of the BedRug including the box was only 18lbs.

Has a few wrinkles from the way the sides are crammed inside the box. Hopefully they'll flatten out sitting out in the sunshine.

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #687
I love my bed tread by bed rug. I think I got it for $350 shipped.
That is a good deal. Looking for a couple weeks, Amazon had mine for 300 shipped+ tax (no prime). I swear the next day, ready to order, it went up $375+ tax. Googled the part number, saw Advance Auto had it for $399 free shipping. Found a $50 off coupon... $374.49 was the best I could find.

to add... In Hp Tuners, did some timing (spark) adjustments (logging for KR). I'm not a tuner, after the cam swap and a few fuel/spark tweaks... trucks running stronger then ever. I think I've squeezed out about all I can... loving every second of it!

·
The great white Canadian
1,425 Posts
Been wanting a BedRug for quite awhile. I probably dropped a 100 lbs getting rid of the 20" spare and heavy rubber bed mat. The shipping weight of the BedRug including the box was only 18lbs.

Has a few wrinkles from the way the sides are crammed inside the box. Hopefully they'll flatten out sitting out in the sunshine.

I've been keeping an eye out for deals on a bedbug. Going to pull the bedliner this weekend, weather permitting, but still waiting for a deal. Just want to get the bed ready.

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #689
My 20 year old carpet floor mats on the drivers side is starting to show some wear. I've looked at the full liner mats and to be honest I never eat or drink in the truck, never sees rain, mud or snow. No reason for a big rubber/plastic catch all reservoir. I decided on Lloyd's Ultimat in dark grey (185) with the silver GMC logo. AutoAnything had a discount coupon so shipped with tax $111.78

These mats are very soft & plush, so nice you almost don't want to put shoes on it. The drivers side comes with two grommets and mat fasteners that screw into the carpet for retention. The dark grey (185) is a shade lighter than what my monitor showed. No big deal as I'm looking to replace the trucks carpet in black.

·
Administrator
3,360 Posts
My 20 year old carpet floor mats on the drivers side is starting to show some wear. I've looked at the full liner mats and to be honest I never eat or drink in the truck, never sees rain, mud or snow. No reason for a big rubber/plastic catch all reservoir. I decided on Lloyd's Ultimat in dark grey (185) with the silver GMC logo. AutoAnything had a discount coupon so shipped with tax $111.78

These mats are very soft & plush, so nice you almost don't want to put shoes on it. The drivers side comes with two grommets and mat fasteners that screw into the carpet for retention. The dark grey (185) is a shade lighter than what my monitor showed. No big deal as I'm looking to replace the trucks carpet in black.

With your level of detail on this truck I'm actually surprised you'd allow that scratch to the plastic there on the passenger side kick panel LOL

·
Registered
242 Posts

Those look super plush!

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #694 (Edited)
Bought a white Escalade gauge face and a set of blue pointers from Digital-Dash-Solutions e-Bay store ($87.75 shipped inc tax). The 03+ are easier to do than the 99-02 trucks/suv's. The 99-02 stepper motors are oil filled so you have to record where the pointers are with the key on. Then plug the (pointer-less) cluster in the dash then turn on the key and place pointers where earlier recorded.

Love the new look and the cluster is so much easier to read day & night.

Once the air settles in the oil filled steppers the pointers will rest in a more natural position. When the key is on they are dead on the correct readings.

White Face manufactured by "New Image"

OEM Escalade Cluster

·
Registered
242 Posts
Bought a white Escalade gauge face and a set of blue pointers from Digital-Dash-Solutions e-Bay store ($87.75 shipped inc tax). The 03+ are easier to do than the 99-02 trucks/suv's. The 99-02 stepper motors are oil filled so you have to record where the pointers are with the key on. Then plug the (pointer-less) cluster in the dash then turn on the key and place pointers where earlier recorded.

Love the new look and the cluster is so much easier to read day & night.

Once the air settles in the oil filled steppers the pointers will rest in a more natural position. When the key is on they are dead on the correct readings.

OEM Escalade cluster.

White Face manufactured by "New Image"

Looks great!

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #697 (Edited)
Maintenance Update:

Engine build coming up on 10,000 miles (9,859).

Another oil change (5th), coolant flush and new plugs (installing plugs tomorrow). Running a Dodge Ram last week she had a misfire around 6000 in 2nd (still gapped the ram). Switching a heat range colder NGK TR6 plugs. Hopefully this fixes the miss and maybe I can add a degree or two of timing with the colder plugs. Soaked the coolant reservoir with degreaser to remove some minor deposits.

(note to self 142150 miles)

·
Some dude on the internet
274 Posts
Hey red, any chance you could share your hpt tune file so I can compare to mine? Looks like yours is very similar build to mine and I’d like to do an apples-to-apples on a few tables.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
What is the reason for running 0w-40 oil? What degreaser are you using to get the coolant tank that clean?

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #700
What is the reason for running 0w-40 oil? What degreaser are you using to get the coolant tank that clean?
I've done a lot of research on motor oils for these engines over at tech and various forums. The Mobil 1 European 0W-40 has a little lower viscosity than the advertised 40. Tests show it's closer to mid/high 30. This helps with noisy (sewing machine) valvetrain issues in performance camshaft engines.

To meet NHTSA (CAFE) standards auto manufactures keep lowering recommended oil viscosity's in favor of fuel mileage. European car companies like BMW, Porsche, Mercedes etc. on some cars do not comply in favor of engine protection, more than US CAFE standards, then NATSA hits these cars with the "gas guzzler" tax.

Through the years oil compianies keep dropping the ZDDP (zinc) levels to keep catalytic converters happy (clogging issues) especially with worn engines that consumes more oil. I have no cats but it takes a shitload of ZDDP additives to have clogging issues.

ZDDP isn't as important today with roller cam engines than with flat tappet engines. It is still a great anti-wear agent to have in oil. Mobil 1 European has the most ZDDP you can buy except for Mobile 1 15W-50 racing oil and the expensive "boutique" oils like Amsoil, Driven, Red Line etc. I've also read this oil starts as a "group IV / V" basestock which is higher than most over the counter oils.

You can compare the Phosphors and ZDDP levels on this chart to the other oils Mobil 1 offers.

(second page last line "Mobil 1 FS 0W-40")

Mobil 1 Product Data Sheet

681 - 700 of 712 Posts