GMC Truck Forum banner

701 - 720 of 723 Posts

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #701
Hey red, any chance you could share your hpt tune file so I can compare to mine? Looks like yours is very similar build to mine and I’d like to do an apples-to-apples on a few tables.
This forums shitty layout doesn't allow .hpt attachments.

You'll have to go to my google drive to download.

Right now I'm running MAF only in open loop, It's dead nuts on stoich. I've done around 8 data logs on the MAF and now I'm about to start on my VE tables if this dam rain will let up. You'll see the Cylinder Volume is set for a .30 over 6L engine, mine is standard bore (Frost mail order tune slip up). The VE is close but needs a little tweaking. Honestly it's gonna be apples to oranges as every thing is different from air flow (cold air intake size to headers) to injector data and spark tables.

Upload your file... It is interesting to compare data.

My .HPT File

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The European Mobil 1 does very good in all the big oil tests, it takes alot of heat to break it down. I really want to run it but it's not nearly as readily available as Mobil 1 5-30 for me.
Good choice, good to see someone else that cares what oil they run and not just put the cheapest crap they can find.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Some dude on the internet
317 Posts
This forums shitty layout doesn't allow .hpt attachments.

You'll have to go to my google drive to download.

Right now I'm running MAF only in open loop, It's dead nuts on stoich. I've done around 8 data logs on the MAF and now I'm about to start on my VE tables if this dam rain will let up. You'll see the Cylinder Volume is set for a .30 over 6L engine, mine is standard bore (Frost mail order tune slip up). The VE is close but needs a little tweaking. Honestly it's gonna be apples to oranges as every thing is different from air flow (cold air intake size to headers) to injector data and spark tables.

Upload your file... It is interesting to compare data.

My .HPT File
Awesome, thanks. Here’s mine. .020 LQ9 with MAF and VE closed loop 216/220 .550/.550 112 with LY6 injectors and TBSS intake. Current.hpt

Edit: not sure if this will work. Might need to jump on the laptop later

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #704
Awesome, thanks. Here’s mine. .020 LQ9 with MAF and VE closed loop 216/220 .550/.550 112 with LY6 injectors and TBSS intake. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f0fkaRi4atDZ15wQsAOmjsRXvcEJ2nGf/view?usp=drivesdk [\URL]

Edit: not sure if this will work. Might need to jump on the laptop later
Link works but Google asks for access permission. On a computer right click the file and it will have a share link that copies, also a "anyone can share this link" drop down box to give permission access.

Yeah we have very similar build, other than the injector data (you 30lbs vs me 50lbs) both would probably idle and run ok if swapped. A few data logging passes and tweaks would dial each in. How is yours running now and did you do the baseline... if not who?

·
Some dude on the internet
317 Posts
Link works but Google asks for access permission. On a computer right click the file and it will have a share link that copies, also a "anyone can share this link" drop down box to give permission access.

Yeah we have very similar build, other than the injector data (you 30lbs vs me 50lbs) both would probably idle and run ok if swapped. A few data logging passes and tweaks would dial each in. How is yours running now and did you do the baseline... if not who?
Sweet. I edited the link in my comment above and it should work now.

Yeah it actually runs pretty good - I did the tuning. I’m just chasing a driveability issue with a slight backfire under load. Wide band data looks good, idles good, decent power. Sometimes I’m tempted to start from scratch and see if I can make it better, but that’s probably just me itching to tweak stuff.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Have you checked plugs?
Is the back fire coming from intake or exhaust?

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #708
Both 14" Magnaflows packing gone in less than a year old. They were almost to quiet when installed, sounded perfect after break in, now just way to loud. Is the only solution the raspy chambered type mufflers? I don't think I could stand the truck sounding like an old fox body Mustang lol. Would a pair of Vibrant resonators before the worn Magaflows be enough to bring the sound down as so my head doesn't hurt after driving an hour? I like my muffler guy (hotrodder) but I don't want to single handedly put him on easy street. What has worked for you guys that drive like a country boy running moonshine?

UPDATE:

So I decided on a pair of Vibrant 12" (1794) resonators. The only place these will fit is before the Magnaflows. I've read the best placement for resonators is somewhere under the cabin floorboards and that's where they'll go. Probably have to wait until Wednesday to get the truck to the muffler shop.

UPDATE:

My muffler guy installed the Vibrants ($40) and it's somewhat better on the hwy at 2000 RPM. The J pipe for drone is the next thing I'm gonna try. The Vibrants quietened the noise a little. What really surprised me was how much deeper the overall tone.

It sounds awesome going through the gears shifting at 6500. My muffler guy said "you must be getting to old for hotrods" ?

Warm Start with the Vibrants installed.

·
Mmm Sandwich
15,380 Posts
I have a chambered muffler and a 10" resonator behind it. It's way batter than just the chambered muffler. I can't stand that hs clapping.
But it's just a little 4.8 through a single pipe

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #710
Since fuel prices are cheap ($2.18 for 93 Octane) and the cops are limiting contact during the pandemic... cruised around Saturday three of four hours with no police sightings, very rare on a sunny weekend not seeing the boys in blue. I figured "hey lets have a little fun". First pull is up a hill letting off the throttle entering the turn 105+.

Second is where the youngin's hangout doing doughnuts and burnouts etc. The old man left a couple tire marks using no brakes, just slamming the throttle and getting a bit crooked although the dash cam doesn't pick it up well. Who says social distancing can't be fun!

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #711
I know I'm going catch shit for this post, I have my flame retardant suit on... so here we go!

The center caps on my LTZ wheels came with the gold chevy bowtie. Seven years ago I had a set of custom domed decals made for the center caps. I searched hundreds of fonts online looking for something close to the GMC font. Came across a very close font called KUBRA BOLD and sent the info to the graphics guy. They came out fantastic but over the seven years they started looking bad especially the right rear (photo).

The guy doesn't do the domed wheel decals anymore. The only place I could find was a company out of the Ukraine called 3d Car Stickers I bought a set of GMC decals a couple years ago from them and didn't care for font, didn't look as good as my Kubra font so I didn't use them. Thumbing through some of their premade decals I found some for Hurst Equipped vehicles like Camaros, Challengers, Mustangs etc.

Yes I liked the look and ordered a set with the thought they'll do until I can find some one to replace my old GMC decals. I do believe I'm going to keep these on the truck after all I do have the shifter lol.

Old decal looking pretty bad (worst one)

·
x3 shitbox owner
3,616 Posts
Needs more round spinning whistle mufflers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #717
PRC 225 as cast heads (62cc) with TSP 660 springs & titanium retainers arrived today along with the TSP Torquer .V4 cam, Morel 6504 lifters & LS2 trays.

Cam specs 231/234 .629 .615 111*+2 lsa

Waiting on head gaskets, timing set, pushrods and ARP head bolts.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
PRC 225 as cast heads (62cc) with TSP 660 springs & titanium retainers arrived today along with the TSP Torquer .V4 cam, Morel 6504 lifters & LS2 trays.

Cam specs 231/234 .629 .615 111*+2 lsa

Waiting on head gaskets, timing set, pushrods and ARP head bolts.

What happened with the little chopper cam?

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #720 (Edited)
What happened with the little chopper cam?
It's still in the truck. It's a really good camshaft for what I have now. The Intake valve closes at 36* ABDC which gives my setup a shitload of dynamic compression which is great for bottom end torque. The recommended static compression for the chopper is 10.5:1 and below. The LQ9 with the 317's 72cc chambers is 10.1:1 so everything plays together nicely. The new heads have 62cc chambers giving me a 11.4:1 static CR so the dynamic CR will be way to high for the new setup. Didn't want to have to pull a lot of time out to address KR and detonation issues.

The cam motion little chopper is a great little camshaft with less than six months of use. I'll probably list it for sale with a attractive price after it's pulled.

701 - 720 of 723 Posts