GMC Truck Forum banner

741 - 760 of 764 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Why did you tap the water pump for steam vents?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know I'm going catch shit for this post, I have my flame retardant suit on... so here we go!

The center caps on my LTZ wheels came with the gold chevy bowtie. Seven years ago I had a set of custom domed decals made for the center caps. I searched hundreds of fonts online looking for something close to the GMC font. Came across a very close font called KUBRA BOLD and sent the info to the graphics guy. They came out fantastic but over the seven years they started looking bad especially the right rear (photo).

The guy doesn't do the domed wheel decals anymore. The only place I could find was a company out of the Ukraine called 3d Car Stickers I bought a set of GMC decals a couple years ago from them and didn't care for font, didn't look as good as my Kubra font so I didn't use them. Thumbing through some of their premade decals I found some for Hurst Equipped vehicles like Camaros, Challengers, Mustangs etc.

Yes I liked the look and ordered a set with the thought they'll do until I can find some one to replace my old GMC decals. I do believe I'm going to keep these on the truck after all I do have the shifter lol.

Old decal looking pretty bad (worst one)

Looks good. Cant wait till my truck gets to the point where I can obsess over wheel caps. Nive truck and garage too.

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #744
Little set back... the 7.500 pushrods I got are a little short around giving me a .030 preload a few cylinders above and a couple just below. Morel wants .030 - .040 for an iron block aluminum heads. The aluminum block guys shoot for around .050 and Martin @Tick performance says .030 to .060 for morel's is fine.

I'm shooting for .045 to 0.50. BTR goes from 7.500 to 7.550 so that's to big of a jump. Trick Flow has the 7.525's so some will be a little over my target a few under. Could order perfect individual custom lengths from Manton but they're prices are above my budget. Summit says they'll ship on Monday.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Where I wouldn't have to cut my upper hose in half and add an ugly adapter/clamps with the steam hose nipple.
Your radiator doesn’t have the steam nipple in the passenger tank?

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #746
Your radiator doesn’t have the steam nipple in the passenger tank?
When I did the V6 to V8 swap I was using the 6 cylinder radiator which has no bypass nipple so I drilled and tapped the pump for return. Now I have the 34" radiator core with e-fans and to honest I haven't even looked but I'm sure it's there.

My way is much cleaner than GM's way with much less ugly hoses, never had an issue with air in the cooling system.

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #747
Correct length pushrods will be here Thursday.

In the meantime I've finished with the remaining parts like the intake,
new NGK TR6's, plug wires, harness, belts, hoses, radiator, and e-fans.

All that's left is oil, coolant, pushrods & rockers, valve covers & coil packs.

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #748
Pushrods came a day early so I was able to button everything up but have to wait until tomorrow to fire her up. Yesterday I was fighting to get the "hacked" EVAP connected. With the V6 trucks you have to splice in the EVAP. Trying to get the tube into the rubber splice my hand inadvertently broke the plastic clip for the 3/8 fuel line. 😢

Bought both the feed and return -6 an fittings in case the other plastic clip is brittle.
Both fittings will be here tomorrow.

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #749
She's Running Again!

Great oil pressure as before, sealed up good can't find no leaks on the garage floor.

Idle sounds about like the "little chopper" cam that came out but driving you can hear the higher compression change and it's a good bit louder... in a good way!

The valvetrain is quieter than the previous camshafts also. The 7.525 pushrods nailed the .045 preload I was looking for! Spent about half the day tuning the MAF and timing. Started with taking 4* degrees out because of the higher 11.4 compression. Did a couple wide open pulls and the logs showed zero knock. I added the 4* back in then did a couple wide open pulls... still no knock! The power is a big step up from the old setup for sure. I'm going to do one more MAF scale log and call it a day. Tomorrow or Saturday I'll add time and sneak up on knock... then back it down till the knock is eliminated.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Where I wouldn't have to cut my upper hose in half and add an ugly adapter/clamps with the steam hose nipple.
Time to get a Fbody water pump and car accessories then. Gotta get rid of that hack steam vent install

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #752
Got the MAF tuned in really well with 5 twenty mile logs. Went to the CVS for script refill and then the truck wouldn't idle when coming to a stop. Switched over to Speed Density only and she idled fine. Ordered a new MAF sensor... but in the meantime I spent most of today tuning the VE tables. It's probably running better on SD than It was on the MAF. Dialed in the PE to about 12.4 WOT and man I'm telling ya second gear really pulls really hard!

I'll post a cold idle vid tomorrow... been neglecting my regular chores like mowing the lawn.

It's like 96* outside right now :eek:

·
Just some fuckin guy
2,415 Posts
Well... its been 6 hours... wheres the pull videos?

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #756
Hold tight... when I recover tomorrow from a Saturday 4th of July (what a great day of the week for the 4th). Film is already in the can.
After reviewing the driving footage I've decided not to post that particular video. The video I was going to use may (or may not) show some risky driving by someone in a small township. I've encouraged the driver to video somwhere south of the border 🇲🇽

·
Registered
392 Posts
After reviewing the driving footage I've decided not to post that particular video. The video I was going to use may (or may not) show some risky driving by someone in a small township. I've encouraged the driver to video somwhere south of the border
Dang red if you are scared to upload the video you need to go somewhere else and make another one so we can see what she's got!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Toxic Masculinity
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #759
Dang red if you are scared to upload the video you need to go somewhere else and make another one so we can see what she's got!!
I will soon... that video the speedo must have malfunctioned as the needle dead stopped at 120mph. I didn't want to post a video with the impression that someone was braking any hwy laws.

741 - 760 of 764 Posts