GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, called local trans shop today to see if they installed shift kits. he said yes for $150-200 for an sk on an 80e is that a good price? he then asked if i already had the kit and i said no but i was looking at the transgo hd2 shift kit. he explained i should look around and find one for my needs because they have some that chirp the tires when it shifts and some that just firm it up a little. and the thing is i dont want this thing breaking my neck but i dont know how to put it i want it to shift quick and feel nice and tight. kind of like jumpin into the next gear but not slamming. what do you guys suggest?

·
GMFS Member
4,390 Posts
hmm. when i had my converter and shift kit installed i paid about 500 i think. but obviously they had to drop the tranny so that's why it was so high. 150 doesn't sound bad. go with the HD2. do you plan on a converter at all down the line? if so do one washer in the shift kit. if not, don't put any washers.

are you going to the show sunday down at nantasket beach (or whatever it is called)?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Do it yourself. :imo

·
180k & still > 4.8 Rams
24 Posts
have you done a corvette servo yet? You can get those for less than $20 shipped and they make a difference. You can do it yourself, I just did it on my truck. I think if i were to get my PCM tuned to get rid of the torque management I could chirp the tires. it definitely firms it up.

·
Registered
706 Posts
yeah, with the vette servo I could chirp the tires too. That is until I put the fatties that are on there now. heavy tires.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm. when i had my converter and shift kit installed i paid about 500 i think. but obviously they had to drop the tranny so that's why it was so high. 150 doesn't sound bad. go with the HD2. do you plan on a converter at all down the line? if so do one washer in the shift kit. if not, don't put any washers.

are you going to the show sunday down at nantasket beach (or whatever it is called)?
yes i plan on a yank3200, what are the washers for?!? and yes i am going to the show, i think im just going to follow nick up there...
Do it yourself. :imo
ive heard a shift kit isnt something you want to learn as you go doing your first one, and i have heard there tough. if i heard it was something easy i would do it because i do everything myself...

have you done a corvette servo yet? You can get those for less than $20 shipped and they make a difference. You can do it yourself, I just did it on my truck. I think if i were to get my PCM tuned to get rid of the torque management I could chirp the tires. it definitely firms it up.
yeah, with the vette servo I could chirp the tires too. That is until I put the fatties that are on there now. heavy tires.
80e doesnt have servos...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you guys think the transgo HD2 would be good? i just want to basically tighten up the slack inbetween shifts...and then the firmness of the shift through the tune...

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anyone got suggestions? the guy who i talked to about the install said the name of a tranny company i cant remember what it was tho it began with an S and he said they make a good shift kit. he also said transgo is one of the biggest pain in the ass kits to install...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Superior makes a good kit too.

Read all the manuals you can on an SK before jumping in and don't rush.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
how simple is a vette servo

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ive heard that the vette servo is $7 at a dealer...so why pay $18 shipped on ebay:think:...

Superior makes a good kit too.

Read all the manuals you can on an SK before jumping in and don't rush.
superior! thats what the guy said...he said they are better than transgo, and they are far easier on the install. eric, how hard would it be to install one of either the transgo or the superior? also what kit do you think is better?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
superior! thats what the guy said...he said they are better than transgo, and they are far easier on the install. eric, how hard would it be to install one of either the transgo or the superior? also what kit do you think is better?

Both are excellent, I use the Superior when TG isn't available.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Both are excellent, I use the Superior when TG isn't available.
if it was your tranny this sk was going in...what would you buy? also why in one of the first responses did kflynn say something about putting in a washer if i planned on a stall converter?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
if it was your tranny this sk was going in...what would you buy? also why in one of the first responses did kflynn say something about putting in a washer if i planned on a stall converter?

I think he's thinkin of the 60E.

I've only used the Superior SKs for the Euro stuff and their billets... but I've heard nothing bad about their domestic SKs. :imo

1 - 20 of 38 Posts