GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was driving down the road in my 01 silverado 1500HD auto, when I felt the back slide alittle bit, I tried correcting it by steering. All the sudden the tires locked up and I began to spin sideways down the road. It sent me into the gaurd rail and another car hitting me. When I went to put the truck in park to shut it off I noticed it was already in park. I think the reason I crashed and everything locked up was due to it shifting to park. The only thing is that I am almost positive that I did not touch the shift column. The marks in the road show that it wasent the anti-lock brakes because the lines are solid black not really scattered like the brakes where grabing and letting go. Has anyone heard of any recalls on anything like this, it would be great to know thank you. Tony

·
Registered
446 Posts
Man the shifter isn't electronic and doesn't have any kind of motor in it. If it was in park then you or someone in the vehicle must have put it there.:read:

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Man the shifter isn't electronic and doesn't have any kind of motor in it. If it was in park then you or someone in the vehicle must have put it there.:read:
:word: It may be an electronically controlled tranny but the shifter isn't electric.

·
Resident Guinea Wop
14,542 Posts
You can throw it into park while you're moving, hell, reverse even... Which more than likely happened. Ouch. The shift interlock only works from Park TO Drive. It locks the column shift lever IN park. Could the truck be driven after the accident?

·
GMFS Sr. Canadian Member
4,519 Posts
pwned, anyone get hurt?

when i had my 88 3/4 ton i put it in park from a 10kph roll. sounded like a machine gun. it was cool

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
my buddy had the same thing happen in his 98 GMC 2500..he was arguing with his g/f and they were rolling about 15-20 mph when she decided to throw the shifter into park. like carey mentioned, it made a horrible sound. still didnt cause the tires to lock or anything of the nature.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
My stupid ex-g/f was trying to be funny and was pointing at something out of my driver's side window. I got pissed and lifted her arm out of the way, which ended up under my shift lever, which sent my truck into reverse when I was going about 40mph. (With heavy-ass 36" tires!) I didn't come close to "loosing control".

The tires squeeled for a short bit (like 1/2 of a second) and my truck just instantly shut off and lost all power. I immediately put the tranny into neutral and coasted to the side of the road, then shifted into park. The truck didn't start back up on the first turn. It fired up at the 2nd turn and everything seemed normal.

The ex and I break up, 6 months pass and my tranny goes out. I lost reverse (go figure), along with 2nd and 4th. Bitch owes me $2300.

·
EscaWHAT?
1,312 Posts
I felt the back slide alittle bit, I tried correcting it by steering. All the sudden the tires locked up and I began to spin sideways down the road. It sent me into the gaurd rail and another car hitting me. the reason I crashed
I didn't come close to "loosing control".

I immediately put the tranny into neutral and coasted to the side of the road, then shifted into park.

Anyone else see the problem here?

·
Registered
807 Posts
happened to me before in my old car(2001 jeep cherokee) buddy of mine hit the shifter and it went into reverse:flame:...no lockup or anything, the motor just stalled instantly:pissed:...

i find it very hard to belive that going into park well moving more than 10mph could lockup the wheels:imo. all it can do is make bad noises...although in my dads 04 avalanche i was drivin and i didnt hit the shifter and it went into neutral:endofshow...and my buddy was drivin with his day one time in his 01 2500HD and his dad went to reach for somethin on the floor goin about 50 and his shoulder hit the shifter into reverse and it locked up the wheels?!? idk but park doing this:think:

·
GMFS Sr. Canadian Member
4,519 Posts
happened to me before in my old car(2001 jeep cherokee) buddy of mine hit the shifter and it went into reverse:flame:...no lockup or anything, the motor just stalled instantly:pissed:...
LOL i did that too in my 88, but i was going 50 :rofl2: stalled right away

·
resident pyromaniac
7,498 Posts
wtf happened to my ray charles post?!:bawl:

:hmm: makes no sense..didnt show up but after i posted it does..strange:imo

·
Registered
5 Posts
You would really have to be putting the pedal to the metal to make your reverse engage enough to even lock the rears. Your clutch would be engaged the second your transmission shifted into R and then you would hear the terrible grinding sound of going the forward in reverse gear.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
I think you have gremlins in your engine

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I hit reverse on accident in my chevy when in 4low at about 20mph, truck stopped realllllly quick, I tasted my windshield, it tasted like burning.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts