GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats what i thought. guess ill just buy me a fabtech one.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
How is your current shock hoop set up? I see two shocks under there, but I can't tell where the hoop is. Do you have a shock hoop, or a shock tower? And is your lift rubbing the shocks, or are your tires rubbing the shocks? Where is it rubbing at??

·
Registered
39 Posts
This might have nothing to do with it but would the backspacing on your rims have something to do with it. I had super lift shock hoops before I got my fabtech hoops , and I never rubbed with those either.

TheLlama said:
i have a freakin hoop and the tired rub my shocks at full turn

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that might be part of the problem but.... Do they make some sort of spacer like quarter or half inch that i can put between the rotors and wheels?

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your rims probly have more backspacing. My rims have stock backspacing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
well buying rims is expensive depending on which kind you get. I got mine for $90 each. You could go with some spacers but I have heard both good and bad things about them so im not sure about them. But maybe you can find some spacers for cheap and try them out . If it solves the problem get some new rims and sell the old one. but the down side is if you put spacers on or get a different back spacing you will most likely rub on the inner wheel well, so you will have to do some trimming

TheLlama said:
Your rims probly have more backspacing. My rims have stock backspacing.

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is true, Ill try to do the fabtech thing, looks like your shocks are a little more toward the engine than mine, cause the bolts on the fabtech hoop and on the inside while mine are on the out. I think a tad more crank wouldnt hurt either. New wheels are out of the question. If i cant fix it cheaper, ill live with it.

·
Pink Bear Man...
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chevyboy_992000 said:
not sure if there ford key ways. got them from a company down buy my house. The shock hoops were like $450 they were pretty expensive. Is the front of your truck sagging? cuase the front of my truck sits only about an inch higher in the front then the back. I also forgot to mention that I also have after market torsion bars on the truck to.
According to him

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
i think it's your backspacing and no matter what hoop you run, you will risk the chance of rubbing. I also wouldn't recommend wheel spacers. They put a ton of stress on your front suspension.

I don't know what your options are... buy new wheels or have a shop fabricate a new hoop or modify your superlift hoop that will push the mounts further into the wheel wells, away from the tire. Either option is pretty expensive.

A wheel spacer is the cheapest fix.

·
[>
3,255 Posts
Chevyboy_992000

What was the reason you went with the Fabtech hoop instead of keeping the SL hoop? Just wondering.

Also.
I remember some other people saying they rub there shock with the SL kit :think: Kyle maby was one:think:

·
Registered
39 Posts
they both broke in to 3 pieces at the same time when i was in pismo just. I never did anything hard with the truck. I was just driving down the beach. Got out of the truck and saw shocks sticking out from the wheel wells. I know that the new super lift shock hoops have tabs that are welded where mine broke, but didnt want to go back with them so i got fabtech one, which in my opinion are stonger and look better.

BDZ71 said:
Chevyboy_992000

What was the reason you went with the Fabtech hoop instead of keeping the SL hoop? Just wondering.

Also.
I remember some other people saying they rub there shock with the SL kit :think: Kyle maby was one:think:

·
Registered
832 Posts
it is def the fact that i have new rims, i figd that was understood. Mine have 4" of BS and were a big hit on the bank accnt at 49 a piece :crazy:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I didn't have any rubbing with my 14.5" wide PJs back when I was running the Superlift kit so that leads me to believe it's a backspacing issue. However when I installed the CST kit and Bulletproof shock hoops my tires did rub my shocks. Brian the owner of Bulletproof was kind enough to fab me up a new set of hoops that pushed the upper shock mounts inwards and he even installed them at new cost. A set of their hoops will run over $300-400 but should solve your problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts