GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my back axle I plan on using U bolts and a custom made plate like a spring perch sorta to mount the shocks to the tube. This way I dont have to weld perminate tabs on. Question is this. Should the bolts be parallel or perpandicular to the axle tube. Seems like perpandicular would allow more flex. Make sence to you? I also want to run them angled in towards the top for looks, maybe 10-15 degrees max.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
The bolts should be perp. to the axle tube. The shocks being angled in will increase uncontrolled body roll but will allow you to have longer travel out of a shorter shock.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would a 10-15 degree really give me a lot of body roll? Ive seen it on alot of IFS lifted trucks on the road, JB used to have them set up like that.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
what about if you mounted say the bottom bolt parralel to the axle and the top bolt perpendicular to the axle........wouldnt that allow the shock to move better?

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would just cancel itself out. The bottom could go one way but the top couldnt. See what im saying? Im pretty sure perpandicular is the best. The parallel way would cut own on flex, allthough would help axle wrap some maybe?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I asked this same question over at FSC one time and got no real answer. Here's the thing though. Does the shock piston freely rotate inside the body? If it does then I'm thinking it doesn't matter. However, if you are mounting the shocks at an angle in the left to right plane, it is going to be difficult to not run the bolts perpendicular to the axle housing. You aren't able to cant the shocks at an angle left to right and have the bolt be exactly parallel. Same reason that the stock setup has the bolts parallel to the axle housing, the shocks are angled in the front to back plane.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the shocks to rotate freely but that wouldnt make a difference :think: It wont be hard to mount them perpandicular, im using a u-bolted on plate to the axle. It would be a little harder if it was on tabs welded to the axle but still doable.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Pretty straight forward. The shock bolts should run parallel to the axle tube. If your standing to the side of the axle looking straight down the axle tube the mounts should come off at a 35* angle.

·
Registered
122 Posts
y2kboti said:
Pretty straight forward. The shock bolts should run parallel to the axle tube. If your standing to the side of the axle looking straight down the axle tube the mounts should come off at a 35* angle.
No, the bolt should run perpendicular. Running the bolt parralel will just wear out the cheap rubber bushings much faster or just bind completely. If you do run the bolt parralel and want to mount the shocks at an angle you'd have to angle the mounts as well or you might not even be able to mount the shock. I don't see any good reason to run the bolt parralel.

·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok thats what I was thinking. Why I was confused, I saw zero reason why flex would improve on parallel.

·
Registered
167 Posts
95GMCD6014 said:
If you do run the bolt parralel and want to mount the shocks at an angle you'd have to angle the mounts as well or you might not even be able to mount the shock. I don't see any good reason to run the bolt parralel.
Correct...after reading numerous articles on the various ways to mount shocks I think this is the best setup. My current setup has the bolts running perpendicular both top and bottom mounts and while they work I think running them the way I am suggesting is the better way to go. JMO

·
Registered
122 Posts
y2kboti said:
Correct...after reading numerous articles on the various ways to mount shocks I think this is the best setup. My current setup has the bolts running perpendicular both top and bottom mounts and while they work I think running them the way I am suggesting is the better way to go. JMO
Not trying to argue, but why do you want to mount your shocks this way? I don't see any performance gains or advantages to running them this way.

·
Registered
167 Posts
There probably isn't an advantage to mounting them they way I am suggesting and there probably isn't any advantage to mounting them perpendicular. Unless you completely screw up the mounts and the shocks somehow bind your not really going to effect the trucks articulation. After going through a couple sets of shocks and seeing how the mounts work w/ each set it seems to be the better way to go.

·
Registered
122 Posts
y2kboti said:
there probably isn't any advantage to mounting them perpendicular.
Less wear and tear on the bushing or joint, especially if the truck sees a lot of off road time and suspension flex. Mine are mounted parralel in the rear (stock GM style) and I have had to replace 2 busings.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts