GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to Summit Racing and they told me I needed Edelbrock shock # 34024 for the rear of my truck. I installed them and they were way stiff. Well, shock # 34024 is for designed for a stock 2000-2005 Suburban/Tahoe/Avalanche. I looked on the Edelbrock website and found that 34023 is designed for a 1500 with 4" drop.

Will the 34023 shock ride better and be less stiff then the 34024? I am assuming the 34024 is valved for the extra weight of a Suburban/Tahoe thus causing my 1500 to ride rough.

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,736 Posts
You need Part # 33010-34010 (front/Rear) for a stock 1500 99-06 pickup, as per the Edelbrock application chart...

Part # 33023-34023 are for a 2/4 dropped truck.

To me this sounds exactly why your truck was riding rough in the back, they had the wrong shock ordered for your truck....

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I purchased 34023 for the rear with a 4" drop. But aren't my front shocks different because I am AWD? So the shock 33023 they call out for won't fit it?

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,736 Posts
Well, I purchased 34023 for the rear with a 4" drop. But aren't my front shocks different because I am AWD? So the shock 33023 they call out for won't fit it?

I dont think AWD matters, I think what matters is wether or not its a 1500 truck or 1500HD... I am pretty sure the suspension is the same on an AWD or 2WD...but hell, what do i know.

Just out of curiosity, why would you order the shock for a 4" drop on a stock truck? Doesn't seem like those are going to work for you man...

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont think AWD matters, I think what matters is wether or not its a 1500 truck or 1500HD... I am pretty sure the suspension is the same on an AWD or 2WD...but hell, what do i know.

Just out of curiosity, why would you order the shock for a 4" drop on a stock truck? Doesn't seem like those are going to work for you man...
I removed the 2" block and installed 2" shackles in the back. So far I have dropped the truck 2/4. This is why I am having trouble findng the right shocks.

As far as I can tell, my shocks are the clevis style on the bottom and pin on top. I beleive the 2wd shocks are the flat bar style on the bottom and pin on top. My shock mounts to the side of the arm as were most 2wd shocks are in the center going up through the coil which I don't have cause I am torsion bar in front. Am I making sense? Cause my brain is melting after looking at so many shocks.

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,736 Posts
gotcha, yeah, that makes sense. I did not know your truck was dropped, I now see it in the sig...

That rear shock should be good for you, as far as the front, your best bet would be to contact Edelbrock directly...

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know, I think these shocks don't ride well. I out then on at work and drove home. I can feel more of the road and when I hit pumps, it feels like 3-4 little hits instead of one. Looks like I'm gonna try again.

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,736 Posts
sounds like you have a very unique situation. I absolutely love mine and most others who I have suggested them to have nothing but good things to say...

Sucks that you havent had good experiences with them... If money isn't an object, run those Bilsteins for sure!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, I'm not sure what is causing this. Maybe I need to run a 2" drop spring in the back and put the stock shackles back in. This might help with the hopping feeling I am getting.

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,736 Posts
I dunno man, I have a 2" shackle and 2" leaf, I don't think you'll like it. I mean, I dont mind it, it was really soft ride in the back until I added the shocks and the airlift bags in back to firm up the ride.... it still has a lil give when I mash down the pedal... I'd prefer the stock springs in the rear over the 2" mcgaughys

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
you may be 4" dropped but technically your 2" dropped, since dropped is usually from a 2wd stance, for instance im dropped 5.5/7.5 on 4wd but for my rear I order 6" drop shocks, since im 4/6 2wd stance... so in other words I recommend orderin stock shocks and seeing how those work out for you

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why can't we lower trucks, and have them handle like indy cars but ride like a caddy? Is this to much to ask? HAHA.

My stock shocks bottom out on any bump I hit over 40 mph. I guess I could try stock 2wd shocks and maybe shock extenders. Oh, I removed the bottom over load spring and did add air bags for towing. So I have a spring pack with 2 springs.

Sounds like I will have to just live with it.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you may be 4" dropped but technically your 2" dropped, since dropped is usually from a 2wd stance, for instance im dropped 5.5/7.5 on 4wd but for my rear I order 6" drop shocks, since im 4/6 2wd stance... so in other words I recommend orderin stock shocks and seeing how those work out for you
So since my truck sits 4" lower in the rear then it did when I bought it, this makes it a 2" drop? That doesn't make sense man.

·
Under Construction
8,417 Posts
2" 2wd drop... 2wd trucks sit the same height as 4wd without blocks, so u add shackles and its 2" drop on 2wd get it?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I get it, I had a brain fart. The measurements on my truck from eye hole to eye hole is 18" with it sitting on the ground. So I called Edelbrock and they told me what I needed. Just seems like it rides rougher then anyother GM truck I have lowered.

·
Nom Nom Nom
8,736 Posts
yeah.... my 2/4 dropped fullsize will sit 2" lower than your 2/4" dropped, only because yours sits 2" higher stock than mine does sitting stock... got it? :LOL:

Sounds to me like you definetly aren't getting the right shock because of the unique situation, but once it gets all squared away, you'll be happy once you get the right IAS shock...

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah.... my 2/4 dropped fullsize will sit 2" lower than your 2/4" dropped, only because yours sits 2" higher stock than mine does sitting stock... got it? :LOL:

Sounds to me like you definetly aren't getting the right shock because of the unique situation, but once it gets all squared away, you'll be happy once you get the right IAS shock...
:insane: Let me draw a picture...................................................Got it!!!:head:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts