GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As long as i've had the superlift kit i've rubbed my driver side closest shock, the stock rims first rubbed it with the 285 bfg's, then the procomps slighty touched it at times i think, then the STS's, I just installed some rancho RS9000x's so I really dont want to rub the shock anymore, its only on the drivers side, I want to know if the lift has a setting that the guy messed up when he installed it, i remember a long time ago he said "I have it kicked out as far as it will go to fit your stock rims" The x-terrains didn't really rub the shock very bad, but the new STS's rubbed the superlift shock to reveal the metal, the measurements from shock to tire are the same on both sides, but the pass side does not rub at all? I cant make it rub when its stationary. Help??

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Sound like you just happen to be turning one way when compressed or something. Its hard to tell without looking at it.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aight heres the best picture i can do, i guess you get the idea of how it rubbed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine used to rub the exact shock, but now that I have the Bilsteins I don't have any problems. I think SuperLift is a "fat" shock.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Mine did the same thing with my stock rims. Its not the kit. When i went to 35s i went with a lower BS and it kicked out my tires far enough so that they dont rub now. I know switching rims would be the blurst at thit point tho. Big country said when he flipped his it stopped the rubbing on the shock as well.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm not spose to flip my ranchos to run them that way, and i think they are the same diameter as the superlifts ?

·
Registered
832 Posts
you could always just take the back shock out. apparently it makes it ride better as well. You just dont have the look of dual shocks, which is no fun lol.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh well i guess i will just run it and rub it :bawl:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Kyle,

I'm not sure why you are rubbing :think: I've had the Superlift kit now for 9 months and I off-road my truck too. I've not had any rubbing on my shocks. I just went out and looked just to be sure that it's not happening without my noticing.

I'm running 16x10 Eagle 184's (book says -24mm offset and 4 1/2 backspace) and 315/75 16 Goodyear MT/R's. Maybe your wheels have a different backspacing than mine?

·
6,656 Posts
The reason your kit doesnt rub and his does could be because superlift doesnt have as strict manufactoring tolerances than some of the other companies. This is one reason the sub frame is bolt together, it allows more error. Also the fact that its bolted together adds in even more error. It probably is off just a few 16ths of an inch, and that makes one side rub and the other not.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
make sure your brackets are not broken or bent Kyle :read:

one dude here in so cal broke a UCA bracket of his SL kit during a meet. his name was CarmineZ71 aka RedfireZ71 on fsc. as you can imagine he started rubbin real bad after that
:insane:

·
6,656 Posts
Ive seen a good number of Superlift UCA dropdowns break. Im pretty sure you would know it if it was broken. There COULD be something bent but I doubt it if its been doing it since you got the lift installed.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont think anything is broken, i went out offroad yesterday and i rubbed the shit out of the new shock :bawl:

hrmmm i just checked my old discount tire purchase sheet, the backspacing on these rims says i purchased 4, 16x10 5.5-6(backspacing right??) AE Baja's, is this what is making me rub? i remember telling them on the phone to make sure they fit correctly.. I have had the rims for 9 months now so i dont know what i should do if thats the problem.

scottz could you measure from the front of your front shocks to the closest part of your tire for me? I am curious as to how yours compares to mine.

·
Kyle
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well hell how can i measure the rim backspacing, they didn't write it on any of the information i have? I also have one of Texk5's rims in the garage i could measure and compare with, its just odd to me.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
It's just the truck's way of telling you that it was happy running the single shock and it doesn't need all those other shocks on there :crazy:

You can measure your backspacing by crawling under there and measuring the distance from the wheel mounting surface to the inside edge of the rim.

·
6,656 Posts
Just measure from the inside of the rims where the center plate is to the inside rim. Im almost positive the only backspacing you can get those in is 4.5"

Im will to bet that the rubbing is either alignment or error in the superlift kit.

·
6,656 Posts
willyswanter said:
You can measure your backspacing by crawling under there and measuring the distance from the wheel mounting surface to the inside edge of the rim.
Beat me to it fawkor!!!!! :ninja:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts