GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
JERKASS
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you determine what shock travel is needed? I have a CST 6-8 and I have some different shock hoops other than CST that I want to run but I dont know what kind of shock to run. I'm gonna go with the bilstein 5100's. It's for a 04 Z71.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Measure your suspension travel...

Jack your truck up and let the suspension droop. Measure the distance between the lower and upper shock mounts... (this will be your extended length.) Then, find a way to compress your suspension or make a very educated guess as to how far your suspension compresses under load or during your suspension's cycling. (This will be your compressed length.)

Find a shock that matches your extended and compressed lengths, and you'll be good to go.

·
JERKASS
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
or can I just run some hoops from a different company?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Measure your suspension travel...

Jack your truck up and let the suspension droop. Measure the distance between the lower and upper shock mounts... (this will be your extended length.) Then, find a way to compress your suspension or make a very educated guess as to how far your suspension compresses under load or during your suspension's cycling. (This will be your compressed length.)

Find a shock that matches your extended and compressed lengths, and you'll be good to go.
"To get compression,,,take off wheel and kick jack stand out" :endofshow

If you call Bilstein, they have you measure the length from bolt to bolt when truck is sitting on flat ground. They they will tell you what the longest shock you can fit on it. They will even tell you the valving they recommend. Get a part number and then order them.

·
JERKASS
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so can I do this without the lift on? I just wanted to have everything ready to go before I start putting the lift on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.