GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does any one know the correct way to shorten a long wheelbase to a short wheelbase, example im wanting to make a short bed crewcab.

tbirdman88-donnie

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
my advice would be to move the leaf spring hangers and shackle mounts closer to the cab so that the short bed will be centered over the axle, then cut off the back section of the frame. then you wont have a cut and rewelded frame. i could be giving bad advise, but that would be the way i would go about it.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
thats probably the easiest way to go about it. then you wont have to worry that you didnt glue the frame on straight if you mid-sectioned it :crazy:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
yes, def the way to go. i love the "glue" terminology.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
good idea but i'm not sure it would work i think the frame bends up and would make it not work... :think: :think: the few i have seen thet cut it right at the back of the cab then cut the bed length off and welded it back with like tons of braces and supports... not factory recommended :imo :read: :D :D :anitoof:

·
Registered
62 Posts
The frame does have a "kick up"area over the rear axle. In order to do what you want, you would need to do it as Georgiagiant said. You'll have to section both of your frame rails and make sure that you have everything braced and reinforced. What year truck are you trying to do this to? I think there was an issue of Hot Rod or Street Trucks or Truckin' that had a write up on a truck with that specific mod done a while back. You might see if anyone has an archive that you could search, and possibly get in touch with the people that did it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts