GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinkin about shortening my rear end so that I can lay out more when I get it bagged. Does anyone know of a GOOD shop that can shorten my rear end in So Cal. Also, how much am I looking at? I heard that $500 is the average.

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,061 Posts
I got mine done for $550, but he told me it woulda been $750 if he hadn't owed me from the first axle he narrowed for me.

Now for the big part, how much. My wheels are 22X9.5's with +15 offset, and i'm running 265/35 22" Pirellis, and I'm channelled 2.5". I narrowed it 4", which is the same amount Danny with the 6" BD that IF did. It doesn't look odd, and it works. Why so much? You have to be sure the tire can clear the bedsides -- the curve up towards the top :)

If you wanna run a 22X12 or something, you might wanna consider doing it more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is this shop you're talking about, Arizona?
My wheels are 22's and 9.5" wide. I dont know the offset but im going to the shop where i bought them later today to find out what offset they have. I just wanna do it cuz the wheels are parallel w/ the fender so I want to get it shortened so it'll tuck w/out rubbing on the tires.
thanks for the info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,061 Posts
Yeah, it's in Phoenix -- Arizona Differential. Ask for Nate, but call up IF, they have someone local who can do it there I'm sure.
 

·
samcarol
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
sierraon22s said:
Where is this shop you're talking about, Arizona?
My wheels are 22's and 9.5" wide. I dont know the offset but im going to the shop where i bought them later today to find out what offset they have. I just wanna do it cuz the wheels are parallel w/ the fender so I want to get it shortened so it'll tuck w/out rubbing on the tires.
thanks for the info.
you do know that ur gonna have to completely cut out ur bed to do that right?
 

·
Changed my life
Joined
·
1,218 Posts
Ya sierraon22s, you're gonna have to cut some shit to lay out on 22's.

It'll be so worth it though, damn your truck will be amazing laying full frame. Please please please :superhack
 

·
samcarol
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
my tires some times rub on the inside of my truck. Its a 20X10 in back, but i'm sure u'll rub like crazy... No more trips to home depot for you:naughty:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,061 Posts
Oh hell, cut out the fenders, put in some tubs. Thats what I'm doing.

And you'd be surprised, but 22's with a 2.5" body drop don't go that far into the bed. In fact, I've got another 6-8 inches before I hit the top of the bed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
kdubaz said:
Oh hell, cut out the fenders, put in some tubs. Thats what I'm doing.

And you'd be surprised, but 22's with a 2.5" body drop don't go that far into the bed. In fact, I've got another 6-8 inches before I hit the top of the bed.
Is it necessary to shorten your axle if your layin with 22's or does it just depend on what kind of offset u get.
 

·
Changed my life
Joined
·
1,218 Posts
Silvlowrdr said:
Is it necessary to shorten your axle if your layin with 22's or does it just depend on what kind of offset u get.
It all depends on what offset/backspacing you're running. Because chrome wheels are cast, you can't get custom backspacing like if you were running billets. So the guys who go low on chrome have to narrow their axles.

Any billet wheel manufacturer will be able to get you the exact backspacing you need to tuck.
 

·
samcarol
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
LowBlue02 said:
It all depends on what offset/backspacing you're running. Because chrome wheels are cast, you can't get custom backspacing like if you were running billets. So the guys who go low on chrome have to narrow their axles.

Any billet wheel manufacturer will be able to get you the exact backspacing you need to tuck.
some companies do offer custom offsets. I know Oasis does, and AR seems to have big rims that tuck. But everyone else thats really low on big rims has a narrowed axle. No way around it.

Go with a set of intro's, they tuck perfectly. And since the backspacing isn't the same on either side, it'll be annoying as hell getting it narrowed to exactly tuck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to the shop where I bought the wheels and they told me that they were either plus 16 or 18mm offset. They were very busy so I couldnt get into detail with them since they had customers up the ass. If I do have to cup up the bed then fuck it I'll have to do it.
 

·
samcarol
Joined
·
3,596 Posts
sierraon22s said:
I went to the shop where I bought the wheels and they told me that they were either plus 16 or 18mm offset. They were very busy so I couldnt get into detail with them since they had customers up the ass. If I do have to cup up the bed then fuck it I'll have to do it.
ur definitely gonna have to cut the bed up. No way around it... Personally, I'd rather narrow the rear end and keep the inner fenders mostly intact. I've heard when people cut that stuff out, it makes the fenders really really weak. I looked at ur truck at the last meet, and they looked like u'd need to pull out ur rear fenders to get ur rims to tuck with the way you are now.

I was gonna get a set of 23s for less than what i paid for my intros. They didn't tuck, and i didn't wanna hack up my truck, so now my truck rides on billets.

Oh BTW, i can't say enough good things about billet rims. U curb em, u can get them buffed out. All you gotta do is spend the time to get them clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I got nothing against billets but I'm a chrome person. I talked to IF and they said that the shop they do it at charges $700.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top