GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put headers on my 97. How hard is it to install shortys? My old man put long tubes on his 74 cutlass and he had to lift the block of the frame, and i sure as hell dont wanna do that. He also had a trouble with the oil dipstick. Does anyone have any experience puttin these on?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
If you have the room (which you should), skip the shorties, they aren't worth it. Long tubes shouldn't be too hard to install. I doubt you'll have to lift the engine or anything, and even if you had to, :imo: its not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It shouldnt be a problem putting long tubes on a fullsize. Im putting them on my 383 when I get it in. But anyways, dont do shortys, the stock manifolds will flow just as well. . . .

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know if long tubes will be in the way for stuff like the oilfilter or anything? And how does the dipstick come off? Im sure somebody will post that has put long tubes on. If they arent hard to put on i will. How hard is it to lift the block?

·
HOT AIR BALLOON OWNER
14,932 Posts
Shorty headers will make a bit of power... around 8-10rwhp and maybe a lil bit of torque.

LTs will go easily 15-20rwhp/15-25rwtq due to increased scavenging.

I didn't have a problem installing LTs on my Ford (it's a full size truck). I used to own a '96 2 door Tahoe years and years ago...from what I recall the engine bay was a cavern.

The only thing that is a bit of a pain in the ass is the starter change, takes some wiggling/dirty talk to get it out.

·
Loves yoga pants
2,412 Posts
I just finished installing a set of Edelbrock shorties in my truck tonight. For those that say shorties are a waste...I can feel a difference in torque at WOT from a stop or a slight roll...I think ANY set of headers is a good investment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts