GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 1500, 4x4, 5.3L, Z71

I'm about to lift my truck with 20's and 33" Toyo M/T's. I tow my boat frequently and I'm wondering if it would be worth while to change from 3:73 to 4:10 gears.... I know the tire size isn't much different, but I think it would help towing the boat, which is about 5,000 to 5,500#.

I can have the gears installed locally at a friends shop for $100-$175 per set.

If it's a good idea, what should I get, and where from?

·
GMFS Military Member
304 Posts
damn wherever you are getting those kinda prices....i wanna go

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
33s and 3:73s are decent for me, but if you tow and get good prices I would definetely go to 4:56s

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me clarify that, the price I posted is labor only..... Sorry for the confusion.

Will, that would probably kill the fuel mileage though, right? It already sucks so I need all I can get. The heavy as hell Toyo's aren't gonna help much either.

·
California Castaway
9,402 Posts
Let me clarify that, the price I posted is labor only..... Sorry for the confusion.

Will, that would probably kill the fuel mileage though, right? It already sucks so I need all I can get. The heavy as hell Toyo's aren't gonna help much either.
4:56s arent that bad for 33s :imo no different than 4:88s with 35s.

·
Fresno State Bulldog
5,708 Posts
Are you ever gonna go with a bigger tire size? If not, 4.10's would be what I would do....its not much of a difference from 3.73 but with the cheap install, it would be worth it IMO :D

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I would go with at least 4.30s. I'm debating on running 4.30s with a 29" tall tire.

·
Candy Corn Harvester...
6,656 Posts
if you were dissatisfied with the stock truck towing, which you were i think, definitely regear, 4.56's would be great for towing but will suck some more gas, but the power will be great. i have had 4.10/33's before and it was a great combo, plenty of power to pull the hauler and still got 16 on the interstate.

is your area flat or hilly? i had 3.73's and fucking every small hill it would kick down and just wasn't cutting the mustard anymore

·
GMFS Military Member
10,899 Posts
4.30s and hell yeah at that price!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
i would definitly regear. 4.10s would be ideal for a dd on 33s but depending on how much your towing i would maybe consider 4.56s. ive had factory 4.10s in a few of my trucks and i loved having the low end power on stock tires and was still good with 33s. if your concerned about ur mpg on the highway mayb go with the 4.10s and do an exhuast, intake, and custom pcm to give you more power for towing.

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

The area is kind of hilly. Not mountainous, but it's not flat at all. Wonder if I could just do some OEM gears that are used? Any idea of what the gears would cost? New or aftermarket that is....

·
2 Door Hoes
3,137 Posts

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's all greek to me Bama, as in I wouldn't know what I'd need. I'm assuming it's a 10 bolt rear-end? What about the front diff? And I guess an install kit is required? Thanks for the post by the way.

·
Candy Corn Harvester...
6,656 Posts
he means you got a 10bolt rear, 8.25" front diff, and then you need the install kits too. if i was you, i'd just call to make sure you got the right stuff

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
rear is a 10 bolt 8.625 rear end. You'll need an install kit for this. The gears are 8.5. They will work for your 8.625 as they are exactly the same. Most are marketed as 8.5 gears though.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Didn't you say the 5.3L was a dog with your boat hooked up to it? I'd do 4.56:1 in that case atleast.

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm affraid 4.56 would be too high for the daily stuff. It is a dog now, but I think 4.10's would be okay.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts