GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decide to tear down the top end to change the bad lifter have and while I am there, I decided to do a new cam also. What kinda prices am I looking at for new lifters, stronger(I think Z06 I will need) springs? Will I need hardned rods as well? Anyone selling a good cam for my application?

·
To hell with BHO!!
2,645 Posts
Melling makes a good stock replacment lifter. Believe the part number is JB-2079 $8-$9 a pop. Can be had at OReillys or Advance. Comps stock replacment, 850-16, is also another choice. Run like $230ish. More expensive though. Just stay far, far away from the Comp "R" lifters!! They are very problematic! LS6 springs are like $88 bucks for the set. You can get new rods if you want to. Stockers are pretty thin.

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where is a good place to pick up the springs for that price? I am trying to fix the issue and do the can like I have always wanted to while I have it down, but I am on a budget kinda right now so good parts deals would be great.lol

·
HUNTING
941 Posts
Just get some GM "Ls7" lifters. They will fit your block just fine.

GM PART # 12499225
CATEGORY: Engine Valve Lifter
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $137.00
OUR PRICE: $99.74

DESCRIPTION: LIFTER

LS Series camshaft lifter kit

An inclusive set of 16 lifters for the LS Series engines.

Newly redesigned for high RPM LS7 engine usage.

·
Registered
840 Posts
1st of all I don't think you have a real problem with your lifters. It's probably leaking down a little but pumps right back up on restart.

A used cam is totally fine since your engine uses roller lifters. You don't "need" hardened pushrods with a mild cam, but they're nice insurance. I bought a set of TrickFlows pretty cheap from Summit. I used yellow LS6 springs on my cam. Don't quote me, but I think they're good for about .560" lift.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I decide to tear down the top end to change the bad lifter have and while I am there, I decided to do a new cam also. What kinda prices am I looking at for new lifters, stronger(I think Z06 I will need) springs? Will I need hardned rods as well? Anyone selling a good cam for my application?
I don't understand the "new or used" question. I never even considered using "used" parts in an engine, with the exception of heads or reground cranks.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Just buy some ls6 springs on gmpartsdirect.com. They're like $57 shipped and they hold to .570 lift. I wouldn't go with anything bigger than a 220/220 .551/.551 cam though(tr220) because the seat pressure isn't as great compared to 918 springs.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I don't understand the "new or used" question. I never even considered using "used" parts in an engine, with the exception of heads or reground cranks.
You should on a cam in these engines. They don't wear like the flat tappet cams did in the SBC. No reason not to.

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I meant that I was wondering if I could get a used cam.... I would never get used lifters or springs. I was looking at a few cams today but not sure what one to go with. I am understanding I don't need or want a big cam for my application. A guy was explaning to me that I wanted a cam to flow more volume but is this correct? What would be a great cam for me to get without having to have a stall for now? I am not sure if it makes a diff but I wanted to get a cam you can hear pretty decent so it sounds choppy if possible.

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to ask a major question I needed an answer for. What is the duration on a stock cam? 00 5.3l?

·
Registered
840 Posts
From what I understand the 212/218, .522/.529, 114LSA I have in my truck is as big as you want to go in a 5300 lbs 4x4. It's heavy, has big tires, and takes a lot of low end torque to get it moving. The bigger the cam, the higher the power band. I'd love a bigger cam myself, but a bigger cam will just make your truck a dog from a stop. I bought my cam used from Hit Man X. He really helped point me in the right direction. I installed yellow LS6 springs and TrickFlow hardened pushrods. The pushrods aren't really necessary for this cam but are a little insurance in the long run. The TrickFlows are priced very nicely from Summit as well.

Hey you cam gurus. How would my cam on a 112LSA do in a heavy 4x4? Would the 112LSA jurt the bottom end? Am I correct that it would have more lope?

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From what I understand the 212/218, .522/.529, 114LSA I have in my truck is as big as you want to go in a 5300 lbs 4x4. It's heavy, has big tires, and takes a lot of low end torque to get it moving. The bigger the cam, the higher the power band. I'd love a bigger cam myself, but a bigger cam will just make your truck a dog from a stop. I bought my cam used from Hit Man X. He really helped point me in the right direction. I installed yellow LS6 springs and TrickFlow hardened pushrods. The pushrods aren't really necessary for this cam but are a little insurance in the long run. The TrickFlows are priced very nicely from Summit as well.

Hey you cam gurus. How would my cam on a 112LSA do in a heavy 4x4? Would the 112LSA jurt the bottom end? Am I correct that it would have more lope?
Great question!lol:evil:

·
Registered
840 Posts
What do you guys think about the Vinci "ASP-KICKER " cam? Would this cam have less bottom end than the one I'm running? I'm assuming the idle would be much more choppy. It's specs are:
DUR @ .004" 272*/280*
DUR @ .050" 210*/218*
LIFT .551 / .551
OVERLAP 52*
LSA 112*

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Yes your cam would have more lope. You could go bigger than a 212/218 IMO. That's a tiny cam. I'm running a 224/224 in my ecsb 2wd truck. Granted it's a 2wd but a 220/220 on 112 would sound great and perform great with a 3000 converter in your truck.

I bought a 224/224 because at the time I wanted a 220/220 and I knew I would eventually want to go bigger.

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So whats the best cam to put in mine?

·
Registered
6,654 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Could he go with 112LSA for a little more lope or would 114LSA keep the power down even lower?

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Could he go with 112LSA for a little more lope or would 114LSA keep the power down even lower?
yea, I was wondering if I can get a cam that will keep low end power and still be able to hear it pretty good like a 112 or do I need a 114?

·
Mayhem, Like Me
3,087 Posts
So whats the best cam to put in mine?
212/216 .551/.551 114 LSA
What rear gears do you have turning those bigass tires??

Also, I noticed your signature... your 5.3 isnt an LS1 dude...

·
The suspension changer
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
212/216 .551/.551 114 LSA
What rear gears do you have turning those bigass tires??

Also, I noticed your signature... your 5.3 isnt an LS1 dude...
Thanks for the suggestion on the cam. I have 4.56 gears right now but going to 5.13s soon. btw, I know my 5.3L is not an ls1 5.7 but I like the name.lol It is an ls based motor so I figured what the hell.lol:rofl2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts