GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here is the deal...
my great uncle passed away last year leaving his children with an 87 chevy 4x4. he had stopped driving the truck because he had other stuff to drive and it needed a few minor things that he just didnt mess with. Anyways the truck looks rough but not a single hole in the body. fuel injected newer 350 and newer o/d trans, original rallie wheels power everything true dual exhaust, i got it running today and the only issues that bother me are; the wiring is a mess, leaks oil really bad, and that is basicly it..

i can get this truck for$800 and if i do i plan to do a bed off engine out (for seals and wiring) budget restore. i mean i wanna paint it and everything!

tell me opinions and give me some feedback...

i also would do a build up thread strating tomorrow with pics!:read:

·
previously USMC05
552 Posts
Most diffiantly Build Her!!

·
Stay Gold!!!!
6,522 Posts
A few years ago I'd say build the shit out of it, but the last few things I've built I've lost my ass on. It's just hard to get your money back or even half of it back.

If you build it, good luck...

·
Registered
999 Posts
A few years ago I'd say build the shit out of it, but the last few things I've built I've lost my ass on. It's just hard to get your money back or even half of it back.
if you're building trucks for profit, i suggest you find a new hobby.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
short bed

i am doing a budget build hopfully staying under its value the whole time and doing it in stages.. first thing i will do is pull the bed and start doing the body work on it. then pull the int. out and prep the inside for paint maybe pull the motor and paint it and put new seals in it!

still in the planning process!

·
Bigger, Longer, and UnCut
987 Posts
Dont do it if your trying to make $,
but I say do it cause I love that body style and it could be a bad ass truck even doing it with a limited budget.

·
previously USMC05
552 Posts
Well every body is acting like your gonna build and then sell right away! Wont you build this truck to your liking then use it and get your use out of it before considering selling it. Atleast thats what i would do.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i am still thinking guys. i just have a few too many projects right now and i really dont know if i want another! :lol: but i am still kicking it around!

·
GMFS Member TEAM WHITE
399 Posts
I just bought a 90 rcsb stepside sierra and am doing the resto now. You sound like me, that means youll be spending more than you expect. I bought it on the 2nd...so far we've started the body work, pulled the grill, all lights, bumpers, trim, trailer hitch (rusted p.o.s.), today im pulling the bed and the interior. I am going through almost everything. I have upgraded to a new headunit, all new speakers. I also have a new seat cover, new chrome bumpers, new weatherstriping, new led tails, new door handles, new interior switches, 94-98 grill conversion kit, clear headlights, new cab corners and an assload of misc. parts...so far im at $6911.26 including the truck. I still need to get a new hitch, spare tire mount, any engine and tranny work...still runs strong. The truck had a new exhaust when i bought it, old school Thrush. My point being you will be spending a crapload more than you expect, my original plans were just to get the cab corners done and use it as a DD.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts