GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Chevrolet c1500 Cheyenne 5.7L
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve owed 1997 Chevrolet C1500 Cheyenne for a few years. Truck was sweet and I decided to put a DJM full 4/6+ calmax kit on it. I’ve second guess everything after I had it almost drivable. Surly some of those are aware of the craptastic instructions and directions from djm. I bought the upper and lower control arms. With 2” drop coil and 6 inch flip kit. Nothin but issues..... I almost don’t know where to start. Let’s just try which is the driver upper control arm anyone??? Notice offset ball joint mounting and one also has a weld booger..... then we can start address other stuff I’ve noticed.....

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I wouldn’t regret it, but they aren’t without there flaws. Bad powder coating, ugly and bad welds, poor ball joints, and they got a lot of hate for the c-notch, and selling 3-5” kits without uppers.

However there stuff works and it’s priced very well.

The arms are nice, and will give some great angles, I was running a 8”+ drop up front with them with no issues. But the ball joints are garbage, you can get MOOG replacements from the parts store, so it’s not a big deal. Just rember to lock tight the upper bolts, and drill the sleeves for the bolts.

Flip kit lasted for 5 years before I added some power, and broke the welds at the track. Welded it back up and it’s still driving, perfect.

My only problem with them is the blatant lie of coming with MOOG ball joints and flaking powder coat.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I’m on the same boat... bought some uppers and lowers for my 05 SS because I would like to try 5-7 out... right now at 4-6 with spindles and keys up front.. I’ve read a few posts about not combining spindles and control arms but haven’t really found the reason why not to.. they just say not to... if I don’t end up installing the lowers I can at least try the uppers I’ve read that they do align the front excellent....

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I’m on the same boat... bought some uppers and lowers for my 05 SS because I would like to try 5-7 out... right now at 4-6 with spindles and keys up front.. I’ve read a few posts about not combining spindles and control arms but haven’t really found the reason why not to.. they just say not to... if I don’t end up installing the lowers I can at least try the uppers I’ve read that they do align the front excellent....
I had DJM arms and 2” spindles, no issues. Actually worked great. Really good angles, didn’t even have to run flipped heim tie rods to get rid of bumpsteer, like I had to with the stock spindles and 2” coils.

DJM for some reason says you can’t run drop spindles. The only reason seems to be they don’t sell spindles.

Iv contacted mcgaughys and they said it’s perfectly fine to run the drop spindle with aftermarket arms.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think you’re right... djm also states no to use drop springs with they’re arms supposedly they can only be used with the stock springs but I could never find a reason why ppl couldn’t... and I do know that a lot of guys combine drop springs and arms for more drop so I guess spindles and arms should be the same ?‍♂[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I think you’re right... djm also states no to use drop springs with they’re arms supposedly they can only be used with the stock springs but I could never find a reason why ppl couldn’t... and I do know that a lot of guys combine drop springs and arms for more drop so I guess spindles and arms should be the same ?‍♂
[/QUOTE]

DJMs customer service is odd. Exsists, but seems like a bunch of old guys that like there own post on social media.

There Instagram account went off on a buddy of mine for posting pictures of a brocket coil spring pocket on there lowers. He sent the OG receipt, and they apologize and sent a bunch of t-shirts and stickers.

And they act like running spindles with arms are crazy, but they say it’s just fine to run 5” and 4” lowers without uppers.

Ohhh and the awsome Moog ball joint replacement memo. It’s very nice they made it, but there reasoning behind why the stock balljoints are so diffent than the MOOGs they claim are in them is laughable.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes I know for a fact that djm doesn’t use MOOG bjs... the ones on my arms are shot and I already have some real MOOGS ordered.... I’m planning on using only the uppers for now to fix some camber I have... will using only the upper djm arms and STOCK lowers align my truck????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts