GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my trucks rearend is setup with 8" Deaver springs and the factory 2" block... also right on top of the block, I have the degree shims... is this bad? The reason that made me ask, is because I have a really annoying random creaking sound that comes from back there when i turn, go over bumps, parking in a parking lot... etc... it just randomly creaks... i tried to spray stuff down with lube, but it didnt help too much... also the degree shim on the drivers side seems to be slowly coming out... it looks like it is squeezing it out... any ideas?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
I don't think your driveline would make a creaking sound if it's angle was off. If the degree shim was the wrong degree or you are running your rear driveline at a bad angle, you would get nasty vibrations and a "grinding" sound. This usually happens at highway speeds.

IMO, it sounds like your shakles or leaf spring packs are squeeking. Spray some lubricant in there or re-grease your shackle eyes.

The degree shim should have a pin going into the top of your block... So as long as your u-bolts are tight, it's not going anywhere.

·
Typical Smart-Ass
1,147 Posts
Hey everyone, my trucks rearend is setup with 8" Deaver springs and the factory 2" block... also right on top of the block, I have the degree shims... is this bad? The reason that made me ask, is because I have a really annoying random creaking sound that comes from back there when i turn, go over bumps, parking in a parking lot... etc... it just randomly creaks... i tried to spray stuff down with lube, but it didnt help too much... also the degree shim on the drivers side seems to be slowly coming out... it looks like it is squeezing it out... any ideas?
Sounds like your U-bolts arn't tight and the pin broke going through the leaf pack. Nothing should move in there unless that pin is broken.

Edit: Is your alignment out of whack?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the alignment out of wack? you mean the front? The front alignment should be fine... i havent checked it lately, but i think its good... but how would that effect a noise coming from the back? the u bolts should be tight.. i actually just tightened them the other day... because i put the blocks in there not too long ago, so i wanted to check em again... also, the other day when i was lubing stuff up back there, i noticed how much the axle actually moves when you put it in gear and go back and forth... like from drive to reverse... because i was lubing it and my dad was driving it back and forth over bumps in the pasture to help the lube get up in there...

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
The axle moving back and forth is caused by the shackle. At full droop, the axle (or tires) are much closer to the front of the fender. At full compression, it's much closer to the rear of the fender.

It's normal for the axle to move a little when engaging into a gear.

When you were under there, could you tell where the creaking was coming from?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
umm... it was hard to tell... it was just kind of in that general area of the rear spring pack/axle/brakes/ shackles and stuff... the noise is kinda weird... its not a "squeaky" spring i know that.... its more of a poppy creaky sound that you can actually sometimes feel running through the truck. doest that make sense?

·
Registered
194 Posts
You should get a protractor from sears and measure your angles. That will tell you for sure if you need the shim. Mine being a crew cab and having a long 1-piece driveshaft, I don't need any with my 7" springs.

Here's a great article on how to measure:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/driveline/

My spring bushing squeaked. I had to grease them. I also have a popping that drove me nuts. I had to take it to the dealer. Turned out my body mounts were bad. They replaced 2 on the driver side. Now the third is making a popping, and when flexing a bit, it creaks too. So that could be what yours is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts