GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Tahoe/2003 Sierra/2018 Silverado
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a low C.O.G. solid axle conversion on my '01 Tahoe that stayed 6 lug, retained ABS and auto 4wd. The whole "covid-can't go anywhere" thing made me want to go for it.

Should i do a build thread?

I started tearing it apart 2 weekends ago. Here's about as far as I've gotten doing it in the backyard after work.

·
Just some fuckin guy
2,309 Posts
Are you fuckin retardid, Of course you should.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And more pictures of the C10
Man you're eagle- eyed.

I don't really have pics of it. It's not my truck. It's my dad's, I live in an apartment, so I'm doing the build in his backyard.

I'll get some though when I go over again. It's a '69 that he swapped the BBC into the bed using a boat V-drive. Not my taste for trucks, but pics are easy enough to get for you.

·
x3 shitbox owner
3,611 Posts
Fuck ya bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like the verdict is that I'll be doing a build thread lol.

I'll be in the mountains until tomorrow night, so maybe at some point during the weekend I'll take the time to do it.

In the meantime, since it's on my phone.
Here's some mocking up the brakes with the caliper spacers to fit the distance of Tahoe rotors and hub assembly. It's still a few thousandths off from being centered. I'll have to have some made that adjust it to be perfect. But for now it works for mockup

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
It'll take time to gather pics and everything for a formal build thread. I'll do that probably tomorrow.

But so far here's the day's progress. The track bar. I'll just post it here for now.

I needed a 1.60" joint at the diff end, and a good bent shape to clear the diff cover (the one i want to run will fit this shape even better, don't have pics of it on me at the moment though).

I went with the Steinjaeger jeep JK bar just to get what i needed. That tight bent shape of 4 consecutive bends is impossible with traditional tubing benders. And JKs also have the 1.60" wide joint i needed. And the Steinjaeger bar is double adjustable so you don't need to unbolt it to adjust it.
(Looks like in the pic i took i had already made my first cut)

It was too short at one end, and too long at the other. I needed to change the 1.60" joint on the frame side out to 2.00" to fit the Barnes track bar bracket. So i went with a Heim to give me more adjustment, the size i needed, and more flex. (These pics are of the axle pushed all the way up at full bump)

I also lengthened the other end with DOM tube and a sleeve inside.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts