GMC Truck Forum banner

should i swap to manual windows

4K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  alwaysbowtie1325 
#1 ·
in my truck tha driver is shot and the passanger side goes half down, im thinking bout just converting to manual and leaving it manual cuz of this problem.. what do ya think and what problems with both of them have yall experience. o by tha way its a 84 chevy lwb

#6 ·
I almost lost my arm changing the window motor in my K5. Remember it's under tension when down lol. I suggest you use a coat hanger or the like to wrap around the track parts before you unbolt them.

#9 ·
Throw in some relays and they are fast as shit.
I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

power windows suck switch to manual, its not like you cant reach across the bench to roll the window down or up
Convert the drivers side to manual, repair the passenger side.

I kinda like manual windows, but I can't reach the passenger side safely while driving.

#12 ·
I had manual windows as well and converted to power windows from A1 electric. Now my passenger side doesn't go up all the way so I have the "help" it up when I want to lower my windows. I'm pretty sure problem is with the motor?

#16 ·
Is that all, just run some power cable and use a relay so the existing motor power instead will trigger the relay? Why wouldn't GM supply the full battery voltage to the motor? Will the extra voltage hurt the motor?

I'm sure those questions were covered in that long-ass thread, but I'm hoping for some cliff's notes...

#18 ·
Is that all, just run some power cable and use a relay so the existing motor power instead will trigger the relay? Why wouldn't GM supply the full battery voltage to the motor? Will the extra voltage hurt the motor?

I'm sure those questions were covered in that long-ass thread, but I'm hoping for some cliff's notes...
Not really

It was more like 'ZOMG I DID IT AND THEY WERK GREAT NOW'

But I'm pretty sure GM didn't think about relaying anything other than the turn signals and hazard lights on the square bodies.
Shit, I don't even know if my hazard lights are relayed.

#21 ·
I don't know about A1's kits, but OEM windows get slow/don't close fully when the grease on the tracks dries up. Greasing the tracks often fixes it.
Thanks for the tip did this over the weekend and my window goes up/down fine now!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.