GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the best way to remove the side molding without damaging the paint or leaving glue residue on the side.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just pulled them off with dental floss on a hot day.
After they where off I used 3m adhesive remover to take off the glue.
Then a polish and wax to finish it up.
Same goes for the badges

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Get an eraser wheel. It will make the job much easier.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
they had a thing on trucks today where they removed the molding on a nbs silverado. they used a 3M eraser wheel then spray detailer to get rid of the dust and residue to put wax where the molding was. if i find an eraser wheel soon im doing that for me and a couple others..

·
Stepside ftw
16 Posts
mine peeled off very easily on a 90* day
then to get the remaining glue just pop a squat and use your nails. its very tedious but gets it done, took me about 5-12 minutes per side.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not to jack the thread, just dont wanna start another. My driver door was repainted due to an accident and will demolding damage the paint on that side. Would hate to pull it off and the paint comes with it. Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've done a number of searches on here and everyone says the eraser wheel is the way to go. That said, I can't find one anywhere. Do any of the chain auto stores carry them?

·
CENTEXOFFROAD
1,348 Posts
Not to jack the thread, just dont wanna start another. My driver door was repainted due to an accident and will demolding damage the paint on that side. Would hate to pull it off and the paint comes with it. Thanks
the only reason it would come off is if the paint work was shitty. don't pull hard, take your time and go SLOW, you can take off the factory clear if you pull too hard, happened to mine.

I've done a number of searches on here and everyone says the eraser wheel is the way to go. That said, I can't find one anywhere. Do any of the chain auto stores carry them?
Most of the chain stores don't but, most auto paint supply stores carry them, I picked mine up from ckresto for 20.

·
No Habla Jibber Jabber!
662 Posts
my cousin was attempting this last weekend and he pulled off some clear where his door emblem was. but that door had been repainted in the past. it was shitty work because you can see sanding marks in the fender too. i did mine last year with no problems. just do it on a hot day and the sun will do most of the work for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts