GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the best way to not damage the paint and get all the glue off and the moldings off the side of my truck?
and does it look better without?

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does it look better?

·
Never Around
1,436 Posts
1. pull gently and slowly

2. eraser wheel is the easiest, but not completely necessary...get a new thumb afterwards though.

3. Yes, it will look MUCH cleaner afterwards...

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright thanks

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
about what temp does the heat gun need to be to pull of the moldings?

·
kissin hands shakin babie
6,529 Posts
Hot enough to melt the glue:read:
but not hot enough to burn the paint

i just get it warm enough that i can start pulling it, and then try to heat and pull. if u see more glue staying on the truck, add a little more heat

·
Registered
687 Posts
but not hot enough to burn the paint

i just get it warm enough that i can start pulling it, and then try to heat and pull. if u see more glue staying on the truck, add a little more heat
Yeah I figured common sense would prevail ,you'd have to be a moron to burn paint with a heat gun

·
I am Tom Slick
6,613 Posts
shit i got a $20 gun from Wally-World and it does the trick just fine, only settings are on or off

I get a plastic putty knife and wrap a towel around the end of it, apply the heat to the molding and when the glue gets soft enough to slide the knife between the molding and truck you can just grab the molding that is peeled away (MAKE SURE TO USE A GLOVE OR SOMETHING SINCE THE MOLDING WILL BE HOT!!!) seems like common sense but I' sure someone would be stupid enough to grab it bare handed after they just got done heating it up

one hand has the heat gun, the other hand pulling gently on the molding once the glue softens

if you can I, as well as others, would HIGHLY RECOMMEND the eraser wheel, it will save you time and save your thumbs

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
i just grabbed onto my moldings and pulled them off, used and eraser wheel and was done with the whole truck in 30 minutes including waxing the areas

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how did you grab them? there is much to hold on to

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and where do you find an eraser wheel? i cant find one at autozone advnaced auto parts or like home depot....

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Just keep working it until you loosen up a corner,use fishing line or a credit card

NAPA
them and detailing supply places

·
Relentless Motorsports
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well i went to a every place i could think of and nothing then i went to a napa outside of town but the guy thought it was sand paper... so i just used so leather gloves and a heat gun. my thumbs hurt like hell but it look great took the stripes off to...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts