GMC Truck Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious what people are using as the connector for the side post batteries. I have an aftermarket bolt so I'm able to connect my power wire to the positive. Problem I have now is the bolt in there is a little too long, so my stock battery cable isn't getting a good connection, causing a weak charge. I had a shorter bolt in previously, but because the stock battery cable is pretty thick it didn't have enough threads to stay tight. If anyone has suggestions let me know I want to get this fixed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
can you throw a washer on your long bolt to snug up the battery cable?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can you throw a washer on your long bolt to snug up the battery cable?
That's what I originally did a year and a half ago when I first did all this. It died on me once because of the connection, and a couple buddies laughed at me for "mickey mousing" it. I haven't done it since, but been thinking about it. However I'm looking for something that's more durable and proper.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
i used washers on mine

·
GMFS Member
1,034 Posts
cut off the insulation around the factory terminal & go back to the short bolt

This is what i did....DO NOT USE the WASHERS and the "adapter bolt from autozone"! You are only looking for trouble....I would either go get a quality one from an audio shop that knows what you really need or if you are a more DIY than cut the oversized insulation around the fact terminal (not all of it) and use the factory bolt as well.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not able to use the factory bolt because I need to connect my power wire to the positive, and the factory bolt does not do that.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Does your power wire not have a ring connector on it? That's the easiest way to do it. Remove the terminal cover, put the positive wire and amp power wire on the short bolt, and that's it.

·
GMFS Member
1,034 Posts
I'm not able to use the factory bolt because I need to connect my power wire to the positive, and the factory bolt does not do that.
:nono:

It will if you cut the insulation around it, trust me.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I was just messin with it for bout a half hour just now. I took off the insulation and tried to use the stock bolt but no dice. There's not enough threads on the bolt to use both power connectors. I don't know if it is because of the design of the battery, the opening isn't completly flush with the side of the battery. Maybe I'm just retarded, but it doesn't look like I can go that route :shrug:

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
I'd consider switching everything out to top post instead. Fuck side post.
Why not keep both?

Last 2 batteries I've had were side post and had top posts as well. Currently running an Optima Yellow Top which is downright impressive. Will be running a dual battery setup soon enough, have the other battery, waiting on other funds for more parts.

G

·
Why not keep both?

Last 2 batteries I've had were side post and had top posts as well. Currently running an Optima Yellow Top which is downright impressive. Will be running a dual battery setup soon enough, have the other battery, waiting on other funds for more parts.
That is the best way to go, but I was assuming he was running a factory battery, which I think is side post only. I'm an Optima fan :shake:

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
That is the best way to go, but I was assuming he was running a factory battery, which I think is side post only. I'm an Optima fan :shake:
word. Stock is side post only. I picked up a cheapo battery last round and it was top and side. Pretty good deal. When I got the winch mounted I put in the Yellow Top and its fucking great. I also have a Blue Top I'm going to mix in for some other stuff.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
just get the side post adapter from advanced auto parts, I have one on each post with no problems.

·
S-Marts Top of the Line
191 Posts
This is what i did....DO NOT USE the WASHERS and the "adapter bolt from autozone"! You are only looking for trouble....I would either go get a quality one from an audio shop that knows what you really need or if you are a more DIY than cut the oversized insulation around the fact terminal (not all of it) and use the factory bolt as well.
I'd consider switching everything out to top post instead. Fuck side post.
this is what I would do....and what I would recommend

·
GMFS Member
1,034 Posts
OPTIMA.....FTMFW!!! Best of both worlds!

:imo

I miss my two that i had :(

·
FFR Fabrication
8,144 Posts
optimas suck IMO i'll never run anything but kinetik, svr or odyssey batteries from now on
Why? Why do they suck? Any evidence supporting your reasoning?

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you guys live by a Costco. The Group78 batteries have both side & top post and only cost $64. It has 800cca/1000ca and comes with a 3 year free replacement.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts