GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what goes on when the ball joints start to wear out and go bad. I have a boot on my lbj on the pass side that has worked fine but it isnt sealed like the factory one. I keep it greased but i was just wondering what will be the sings of it wearing and what i need to look for.

·
Total Eclipse Smokefiend
174 Posts
the easiest way to test, is to jack the truck up. Get the weight off the front tires, put your hands on 12 and 6 as the clock reads and push and pull, if there is movement its best to replace them (get moog). I doubt your balljoints are bad already, though on those trucks it is a possibility. On some of them the boot deteriorates and they can go that way once some foreign stuff works in. If you had bad balljoints, you would feel it in the general road feel as well.

·
Line-X of San Antonio
5,237 Posts
just keep grease in that boot, and you will be fine. your tires will wear the balljoints alot sooner than the factory tires. if you do like kilborg said above every now and then, you will be fine.

·
LIKE WHOA!!!
584 Posts
do what kilborg said, and make sure you do it every so often, cause if you dont, you end up causing more damage than just worn balljoints.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts