GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 silverado Z71 and i'm goinng to lift it, i'm going with a 6inch suspension lift, im looking at the RCD and Fabtech lifts, but I have heard alot about fabtech and none of it is good so if anyone has any info on which kit I should go with it would be greatly appreciated. Oh ya I was also wondering what the overall heaght change will be with a 6inch suspension lift and 315/75/R16 tires, my truck sits about 72 inches at the highest point of the roof now and I would like to know if anybody has a 6inch lift on a Z71 with 315's how tall is it?

·
Drive It Like Ya Stole It
6,656 Posts
Well first let me ask you if you know the 2 basic kinds of the 6" lifts, spindle vs "full". Both lifts you have mentioned are spindle lifts. Out of those 2 I would pick the RCD, they are a very well built lift. The fabtech isnt bad, but I would go RCD - better shocks come with it etc.... Also your truckw ill be about 7-8" taller is my guess depending on how you set the torsion bars.

·
6,656 Posts
Ok here is goes:

Spindle lift - Drops the diff about 4.5", the lower control arms (LCA) 6" and the upper control arms (UCA) none. uses extended steering knuckles to compensate between the gap in the uca and lca.
Advantages - dont need a new front drive shaft, easier to align in most cases.
Disadvantages - when you set yoru torsion bars at 6" your CV angles will be worse than stock. Extended front track width. Not as much possible lift

Full lift - Drops the diff, UCA and LCA a full 6".
Advantages - stock CV angles at 6" setting, can go up to around 7.5" and have similar angles as a spindle lift at 6".
disadvantages - need a new front drive shaft on autotrac trucks.

Full lifts include procomp, superlift (IMO a crappy lift) CST, Full Throttle and some others

Spindle lifts are fabtech, ranhco, RCD and many more.

·
thats right
1,399 Posts
Stephen lets get a sticky worked on for the kit differences :LOL: i swear im gonna do some work for the site this weekend. i have some free time so watch for a couple of write ups...... :anitoof:

as for the spindle lifts, yeah RCD is the best because the shocks are far superior to the other brands

·
6,656 Posts
Ill help ya type one up and we can sticky it or something, it definatly needs to be done.

·
Realtor, not Real-iter
421 Posts
Dark laid it out short and simple.... nice.

One thing I'll add....... Procomp makes a spidle lift AND non-spindle lift for his yr. (I dont know if they plan on keeping the non-spindle type though)

I have the RCD kit with 315/75/16 and I know that 82" will clear the On star antennea (never used onstar though). The On star anteanna is about 1-2" taller than the roof.

Your truck will need about 80" to clear.... but your radio antennea will still hit but who cares about that?!?!?!?

·
2008 RCSB
9,634 Posts
Jeff said:
Stephen lets get a sticky worked on for the kit differences :LOL: i swear im gonna do some work for the site this weekend. i have some free time so watch for a couple of write ups...... :anitoof:

as for the spindle lifts, yeah RCD is the best because the shocks are far superior to the other brands
I choose the Rancho because of the one-peice subframe over RCD, plus you can upgrade to RS9000 for a little bit more $$. I would get the RCD over the fabtech though.

Have you looked at Skyjacker lift yet?

·
Realtor, not Real-iter
421 Posts
TexK5 said:
I choose the Rancho because of the one-peice subframe over RCD, plus you can upgrade to RS9000 for a little bit more $$. I would get the RCD over the fabtech though.

Have you looked at Skyjacker lift yet?
Honestly IMO... for spindle lifts I think its a toss up between RCD and Rancho. I have RCD but almost chose Rancho with upgraded 9000 shocks like TexK5 mentioned. You cant loose with either.

I like Fabtech's stuff.... honost products.... but I think RCD and Rancho both are over all better than fabtech. All three are pretty similar in design. My biggest beef with fabtech kit is their shocks. The rancho 9000's and Bilstein that come in the RCd standard are both much better than fabtechs shocks

·
Keepin' it real...
2,284 Posts
Here is my 2 cents... As far as spindle lifts go, I personally like Rancho. Rancho and RCD are nearly identical kits, so you cant go wrong either way. I'd take either one long before any of the other spindle lifts. If you're also considering traditional style lifts (UCA drop brackets, rather than spindles), I'd go with ProComp. I like it better than the Superlift, but thats just me. :D

·
6,656 Posts
Grant said:
Here is my 2 cents... As far as spindle lifts go, I personally like Rancho. Rancho and RCD are nearly identical kits, so you cant go wrong either way. I'd take either one long before any of the other spindle lifts. If you're also considering traditional style lifts (UCA drop brackets, rather than spindles), I'd go with ProComp. I like it better than the Superlift, but thats just me. :D
:word:

·
Realtor, not Real-iter
421 Posts
:word: X 2

If you are gonna get a non spindle kit then just make sure you the the full 6" drop procomp kit and not the 5" spindle procomp kit.

Or maybe full throttle... I think that what others like for non-spindle :think:

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I put on the 315's will I have to change axle ratios I beleive I have a 3.73 ratio now and I know that some people change and some dont. If I dont change will it hurt my truck at all?

·
6,656 Posts
You will loose some power but not to much, Ive been running with 3.73 for a year now. If you do change swap in some 4.56 :rocking:

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Alot man, what if any thing should I do about my speedometer reading wrong after the lift and tires, I plan on buying a programmer eventually but will the speedo and odometer being wrong void my warranty or anything gay like that in the meantime?

·
Realtor, not Real-iter
421 Posts
You know.... for like $50 the dealer can reprogram it.

·
don't be an ass!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I called three dealers and one of them said they can't do it because its a liability thing or something they said they could only reprogram for one tire size bigger than stock. another one said they could only do it if it was a for a foctory option upgrade like going from 245's to 265's on a 4x4 or something, and another one said to call back but I never did cuz I figured it would just be a waiste of time.

·
6,656 Posts
Wont void anything, it will be less than 10% off. I just dealt with it, no big deal.

·
Realtor, not Real-iter
421 Posts
Dang... I'm with Dark on that one. Just wait until you buy your own programmer. Until you do it may or may not cause the ABS light to come on.

The dealer can do it.... I know because my dealer did mine. Some are just more "modification" friendly than others.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts