GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Just a Beginner
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now i have an 02 silverado crew cab 1500HD that my dad gave me becuase he buys a new truck every two years.... he was saying that one of his friends has an 03 silverado SS and is looking to sell it when his H2 comes in next february or so.... so i have been looking at the SS on a lot of sites and reviews and test drives but i havent made up my mind if i should go for that one or not becuase the insurance is more.... has anyone ever driven one??? what are they like???? if anyone could give me some pointers to help me with my decision it would be appreciated...
Thanks

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
Well...I don't have an SS, but I have the same 6.0 liter in my truck. Very peppy...hauls all that extended cab weight around very nicly. Plus, you gotta love those 20s. You won't have as much space as your crew cab, but it'll be enough. Plus, I love the SS front ends.

Get the SS :read:

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you are crafty with the tools, I would save the money and build a TRUE SS. RCSB LS6 or 6.0 iron block bored and stroked out to 408 ci. 4L65-e or 80e tranny. That would romp ass on any factory SS. Plus, screw the AWD. Real SS's are RWD. The silverado SS is almost a disgrace to the SS heritage

·
Registered
343 Posts
Matt said:
dis doods gotz a point. def cooler to build a ride that will smoke an ss that some dude simply threw the cash around for.
now don't get me wrong, the SS is a sick truck! but there is nothing SS about it! It shares the same motor as several other vehicles :blah: :guns:

·
Registered
12 Posts
The SS has a ''H.O.'' 345 HP engine instead of the regular 6000's 300. 380 LB.-FT or torque on the SS compared to the reg. 6000's 360 its in the booklet from the dealership :read:

later- Dalton

·
Registered
343 Posts
Mr.Badwrench said:
The SS has a ''H.O.'' 345 HP engine instead of the regular 6000's 300. 380 LB.-FT or torque on the SS compared to the reg. 6000's 360 its in the booklet from the dealership :read:

later- Dalton
same engine caddies have as well. the "H.O" 6.0 just uses pistons and different rods. The normal 6.0 is way underrated at 300 horses though...i mean come on the 5.3 is rated at 295

·
I'll Take teh Case!
1,918 Posts
GMCtrk said:
same engine caddies have as well. the "H.O" 6.0 just uses pistons and different rods. The normal 6.0 is way underrated at 300 horses though...i mean come on the 5.3 is rated at 295
I've been thinking the same thing.

This year (2005)...the 5.3 will be rated at 310 :read:

·
2,451 Posts
GMCtrk said:
Dont you have to run 91 octane on the h.o.'s?

Humanzoom, is yours an h.o. or a regular 6.0?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Andy said:
Dont you have to run 91 octane on the h.o.'s?

Humanzoom, is yours an h.o. or a regular 6.0?
since it's high compression, most likely you have to run atleast 91. The engine in zoom's truck is the LQ9 high output

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Man, Why do you have to hate on the SS? I have one and I love it. Chevy really went all out with the AWD, ok maybe it could use more power. However all of the other sport trucks sit in the garage all winter. I can drive my truck year-round. Go ahead and build what you wanna call an SS, its not an SS. You are not GM. And when you do get your wannabe SS built stop-bye my place in mid december, we will run em. Or I will run my SS and you can run yourself off the road. I dont understand why such a avid GM supporter would talk down about a awesome GM product. Maybe you should get yourself a Ford.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
SUp, IMO I would stick with a rear wheel drive, I mean damn how u supposed to show off the power and win a burnout contest :head: :rocking: :D :crazy: !

·
samcarol
3,596 Posts
GMCtrk said:
If you are crafty with the tools, I would save the money and build a TRUE SS. RCSB LS6 or 6.0 iron block bored and stroked out to 408 ci. 4L65-e or 80e tranny. That would romp ass on any factory SS. Plus, screw the AWD. Real SS's are RWD. The silverado SS is almost a disgrace to the SS heritage
you do realize that the SS option was started as a trim package on impalas in the 60s, right?

I'm not knocking GM, i have a 70 Chevelle SS 396 sitting in my garage too.

·
Registered
343 Posts
2k1slvrdo said:
you do realize that the SS option was started as a trim package on impalas in the 60s, right?

I'm not knocking GM, i have a 70 Chevelle SS 396 sitting in my garage too.
odd you mention that....they just had a show american muscle car on the impala SS on speed channel. Good ole 409 huh? :head:

·
Jason RIP
6,062 Posts
SSALASKA said:
Hey Man, Why do you have to hate on the SS? I have one and I love it. Chevy really went all out with the AWD, ok maybe it could use more power. However all of the other sport trucks sit in the garage all winter. I can drive my truck year-round. Go ahead and build what you wanna call an SS, its not an SS. You are not GM. And when you do get your wannabe SS built stop-bye my place in mid december, we will run em. Or I will run my SS and you can run yourself off the road. I dont understand why such a avid GM supporter would talk down about a awesome GM product. Maybe you should get yourself a Ford.
I think it would be pretty easy to buy a stock silverado and take the extra money you would have spent on the SS and build a truck that would devistate the factory SS. When compared to the Lightning and the SRT-10 it consistently comes in last ... I think it all boils down to it's a more pratical everyday driver than either one of those, and it really should have not been built to be practical.

·
Registered
343 Posts
SSALASKA said:
First off I am glad you love your truck. I would too if I had that vehicle. All I am trying to say is, if you want an SS, why spend 40k on a factory what they call "SS" when you could build a SS that's true to its heritage, i.e. the SS454, for the same price that would smash the factory SS in performance?

And as far as your comments about AWD in the winter, I am sure it's great, but I have never had a problem with 2wd in the winter. I have no need to go offroad or anything like that. Plus, when have SS's ever been about handling? it's all about straight line speed!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts