GMC Truck Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked my '99 Sierra extended cab up tonight, and was pleasently suprised when he said "oh I forgot to mention", and proceded to say that he replaced the speakers with jensen units and put a powered sub in.

SOOO I get home and see that the front doors are indeed replaced, cool, but the rear door speakers are still looking awful stock and the "powered sub" is just a cheesy 10" bazooka that's been spliced into the rear speaker wires.

This sounds "OK" but I'd like something a little nicer. I want to KEEP my stock head unit, not a Bose, simply because I like the look of the stock one in the truck. I'm going to brand match the rear door speakers to the fronts, and I also have an older Rockford 600 or 800 watt amp that is collecting dust in the house somewhere.

I was thinking along the lines of cleaning up all the wiring, tossing the rockford amp in and running either a 10 or a 12 in a subthump single box.

Do you see a problem in my plan anywhere? Which sub do I go with size wise? I'll probably end up looking for a more affordable sub before a top performing one, as stereo's aren't all that important to me, just want a nicer sound. I don't play alot of bass, but when I crank it I want a good mix of bass, mid, and treble... right now the bass tube is just trying to distort alot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
either will sound fine with that much power, I'd swap the jensen speakers for a low end mb quart or something though

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
word on the 12"....just gives you a more full sound compared to a 10" IMO. Although the 10" can sound just as good and sometimes better than the 12"

·
OGMFS Member
1,327 Posts
Do a search and check out cajundraggers single sub setup. its badass!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input guys, I do like cajundragger's setup alot. I'm content with the junk that's in there for now, there are some other things I'm wanting to attend to first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts